4.9

[D A N I E L  S E A V E Y]

elaina just stood there dumbfounded when i told her that the house was ours.

finally, she spoke up, "what do you mean, 'the house is ours'?"

"it's our house, baby," i smiled.

"you bought this house?" she asked, her expression shocked and maybe the slightest bit worried.

"i bought it for you, me, and the babies. it's our new home," i told her, wrapping my arm around her waist.

"b-but i, i mean, i have some money saved up. i could've helped pay for it or something," she said worriedly, putting her fingers through her hair.

"baby, please don't worry about anything. i love you and i did this for us. don't be worried," i told her soothingly, rubbing her cheek.

"but-"

"no buts. i love you more than anything in the whole world. please baby," i said, wrapping both of my arms around her waist and putting my head in the crook of her neck. i placed a few soft kisses on her neck and she eventually gave in, knowing that i wouldn't let her make any argument.

we ended up going inside and i showed her around the house, and i could tell she didn't like that i paid for everything, including all of the furniture. 

after showing her around, i made sure to save the nursery for last because she was extremely worried about it.

"okay baby, close your eyes. there's one more room," i said, so she covered her eyes and walked her down the hallway and into the nursery.

it was painted grey and elephant themed with two cribs in it and a rocking chair in the corner. i got it decorated with the help of ellery since i would probably mess it up if i did it on my own.

"can i open them now?" elaina asked.

"yeah," i told her, so she opened her eyes and smiled.

"it's so amazing! this is what i've always imagined in a nursery," she gushed, walking into the room and looking at all the things that were inside of the room, "thank you, daniel. you're so so so so so amazing. i love you more than anything in the whole wide universe," she came over and hugged me, so i wrapped my arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

"anything for you," i mumbled into her hair, while slightly rocking back and forth.

we sat there like that for many minutes, wrapped up in each other's arms inside of our children's bedroom. in that moment, i knew this was the way i was meant to live my life. i was meant to have elaina as my wife. i was meant to learn and grow with her. i was meant to start a family with her. i am living my life the way it was all meant to be lived.

~

"babe, my mom wants to know when we're going to portland for christmas. it's in, like, a week," i said, looking up from my phone, which was open to the messages app and the texts from my mom were on the screen.

"i was thinking we could do what we did last year," she told me, "i could go to my mom's on christmas eve then i could drive up to portland to meet you guys there."

"no. nada. hell nah. i'm not letting you drive fourteen hours by yourself, in the dark, while you're four months pregnant. NOPE," i said, making sure that the message was clear that i didn't want her to drive a fourteen hour drive alone.

"well, i want to celebrate christmas with my mom and your family, so what am i going to do?" she asked me.

"how about i go with you to your mom's house on christmas eve, then i drive us down to portland?" i suggested.

"i'd have to make sure it's okay with my mom, but i'm sure my family would be delighted to have you over with us for christmas," she smiled, "let me text her really quick."

she pulled out her phone and texted her mom, a smile starting to spread across her face. i assume she got a good response.

"you can come. actually, my mom's exact words were, 'hell yeah. his ass better be coming over for christmas. he's the father of my damn grandchild.'" she told me, laughing.

"okay, well i'll tell my mom," i said, opening up my phone again and texting my mom the plan, and she agreed. she also said something about how she wants to meet elaina's mom next time she comes down to la, since she's never met them before.

"what'd she say?" elaina asked me, snapping me out of my thoughts and my head shot up.

"oh, she said that she was fine with that and she also wants to meet your mom sometime since she's never met her before," i explained to her, and she nodded.

she scooted over and cuddled up to me on the couch, resting her head on my chest as she focused on the show that was playing on the tv before we started talking about christmas arrangements. but i wasn't watching the tv, i was watching elaina. the way her eyes lit up when something good in the show happened, and the way she would scrunch her nose when she didn't like what happened. the way she would readjust herself and cuddle up closer to me when she got uncomfortable, and the way she would protectively wrap her arms around her stomach at times. to me, it was all so perfect.

i hadn't even noticed that she had shut her eyes and fallen asleep on my chest. i smiled at the sight before turning off the tv and carrying her upstairs to our bedroom. i laid her down in bed, ticking her in to make sure she was nice and warm. then i pulled off my shirt, and laid down next to her, wrapping my arm around her and falling asleep as well.