4.5

[D A N I E L  S E A V E Y]

it's 12:45 and i have been laying in bed for a few hours, letting elaina sleep since i know she's been having trouble sleeping at night. i woke up last night at 2:30 last night to the sounds of her throwing up in the bathroom. i hate it that she gets sick at night, but i can't do anything to help her.

today is thanksgiving and my family is coming over later. that includes my cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents from both sides of my family. let's just say, i have a huge family. there's so many people that come on thanksgiving that the whole dining room table is full, the kitchen table, and about half of the seats on the patio are taken. yeah, it's a lot.

i'm pretty excited to see my cousin carmen. her family lives in florida so they only come into portland for thanksgiving about every four years. we're pretty close. she's a year older than me, making her twenty-four. we used to be really close when we were kids, and i haven't seen her since i was nineteen. 

i heard a faint knock on my bedroom door, and anna stood there.

"mom, dad, and i are going to the airport to pick up carmen and her family. do you want to come?" she asked quietly. i look down at elaina and saw her sleeping peacefully. her arm was wrapped around my waist and i didn't want to wake her up.

"no, i'm okay. i don't want to wake elaina up," i whispered to her, so she nodded and left my room.

i looked back down to the beautiful girl sleeping beside me and smiled to myself. 

how in the fucking world did i get so lucky? 

i closed my eyes in bliss and ended up falling back asleep.

~

"DANNY BOY, MY BITCH, I HAVE ARRIVED!" the door swung open to reveal an excited-looking carmen.

"shut up," i whispered, and pointed to elaina laying down next to me.

she started to shift in her sleep, and i glared at carmen. she sent me an apologetic smile, causing me to roll my eyes at her. i looked back down at elaina, and her eyes fluttered open. i smiled at her, making her cuddle up to me.

"baby, i want you to meet someone," i whispered to her, and pointed to carmen on the other side of the room, "that's my cousin, carmen."

"hi," elaina mumbled, looking very tired, "i'm elaina."

"i'll let you guys be. if you want me, i'll be in the kitchen helping keri make dinner," carmen smiled, walking out of the bedroom.

"i'm tired," elaina murmured, cuddling up closer to me.

"yeah, i'm sorry she woke you up," i whispered, kissing her forehead.

"i want eggos and chocolate," she said, sitting up in bed and rubbing her eyes.

"of course you do," i mumbled, "then get up and we can go get you some."

"okay," she smiled, quickly getting up and sliding out of bed.

we walked out of my bedroom and into the kitchen, to find my aunt charlotte, uncle mason, my other cousin named noah, and carmen sitting in the kitchen talking and laughing.

"how great, you guys are finally up!" my mom exclaimed happily.

"somebody," i coughed and gestured towards elaina, "is craving eggos and chocolate so we have come to retrieve them."

"it's not my fault i'm pregnant. that's all you you, daniel," she said, patting my back and walking over to the the freezer to get the waffles.

"ha, you just got rekt daniel," carmen said laughing, and noah joined in with her.

 "shut up," i mumbled, walking out of the kitchen and sitting on the couch in the living room.

after a few minutes, i felt elaina come sit down next me on the couch, so i shut off my phone and turned my attention on her.

"i like your cousins. they're great," elaina laughed, resting her head on my lap.

"yeah, most of the time they are," i told her, stroking her hair.

we sat in a comfortable silence for a couple of minutes, looking into each other's eyes and smiling. i pecked her lips randomly and she giggled.

"what was that for?" she asked.

"can i not kiss my girlfriend?" 

"no, you can," she smiled, "that was just kind of random."

"why is it weird to give random kisses to the love of my life?" i questioned, pecking her lips once again.

"it's not," she assured me, sitting up and laying her head on my shoulder.

"i love you," i said out of nowhere.

"i love you too, daniel," she smiled, giving me a short but sweet kiss.

"no pda kids!" carmen yelled, peeking into the living room.

"fuck you!" i yelled back, and elaina lightly laughed.

"language daniel!" my mom called in here, and elaina bursted out laughing.

 i rolled my eyes and settled back down onto the couch cuddling up with elaina and feeling pure happiness with her.

~

"okay, i think we're all here. daniel, do you want to say grace?"my mom asked, as my whole family was gathered around the table ready to eat thanksgiving dinner.

"uh, sure," i replied, so we all folded our hands in prayer, "thank you god for this gift of having the opportunity to have such a wonderful meal with the people we love most in this world. you give us so many blessings and we can't thank you enough. in your name, amen."

everyone around me said 'amen' and we all started eating thanksgiving dinner.