Twist Ending II

Everything was white. It was supposed to be this way on one's wedding day. The bride wore a white dress, the cake was white, the table cloths were white, other decorations were white, and even the limousine was white. Weddings were always done this way, so Anastasia's shouldn't be any different.

She spent the past few months planning her wedding to her soulmate Walter. Her dress had been perfectly tailored to fit her body, and they had chosen the most flattering bridesmaid dresses. Walter had chosen a lovely venue and an even lovelier honeymoon spot. Her mother had hired a professional stylist to make her look her very best for this special day. It was going to be the perfect wedding for the perfect love story. Anastasia told herself this over and over hoping that if she said it enough times that it would come true.

"It's time dear," her mother said coming into the room. Her stylist had just placed the veil on her head, so she knew it was time. She held her mother's hand as she guided her down the walkway and gave her away to Walter. Anastasia held his hands and felt that they were sweaty.

'Awe he's nervous,' she thought to herself and smiled. It was perfectly normal to be nervous on your wedding day. What wasn't normal was shifting your eyes back and forth and not meeting your bride's eyes. 'He can't be having second thoughts can he?' she wondered.

She worried for nothing though as they were able to exchange vows and rings saying their "I do's." Everything had gone the way she expected it to and was now a happily married woman. They had their first dance together, and they fed each other their wedding cake. Anastasia had a lovely time dancing with guests and spending time with her husband, but she couldn't help feeling that something was off.

Walter would smile, but his smile didn't reach his eyes. Walter would look at her, but he wasn't really looking at her. He acted as if he was happy, but his eyes told a different story. The story his eyes told was on of pain. Anastasia couldn't understand why he was like this. If he didn't love her, then why had he proposed to her? Why had he married her?

Why hadn't he told her the truth?

Anastasia decided to take matters into her own hands to figure out the truth. She took him away from everybody outside so that they could be alone.

"What's going on Walter?" she asked him. "You've been acting strange. You won't look me in the eye, and you're sweating."

"It's nothing," he stammered out shifting his gaze towards the ground.

"If you didn't want to marry me, you could've just said so," she told him taking hold of his hands. "We didn't have to go through this if you changed your mind."

"You don't understand Anastasia," he cried out clutching her close to him. "I love you dearly! You mustn't think anything else."

"Then why aren't you showing me otherwise?" she asked him holding him closer to her.

"Because you don't know the terrible choices I've made. You don't know what I must do now," he whispered in her ear as a tear leaked from his eye.

"It's okay dear. Whatever it is, we can get through it together," she told him resting her head on his shoulder.

"But don't you see?" he asked with a sudden change in his voice, "I have to kill you."

"What?" she asked gasping out in disbelief pushing him away from her. She saw him reach into his jacket and pull out a knife.

"I made some bad choices, and the only way to atone for what I've done is by killing you, my beloved," he said in an eerily calm tone as he advanced towards her menicanly.

"Walter!" she pleaded, "Please don't do this!" Anastasia backed up into a wall and knew she was trapped. How had this happened to her?

"I have to Anastasia," he replied coming face-to-face with her. "But don't worry dear, we'll meet in another life." He plunged the knife deep into her chest aiming for her heart. Anastasia slumped down to the ground falling over as she stared up at him gasping for breath. Walter lifted up his shoe and brought it down upon her, pushing the knife in deeper. And then. . .

Everything was white.