Imaginary Friend

You are a kid's imaginary friend.  He's growing up, and you're fading away.

* * *

When my kid first imagined me, he was four years old and he just gotten a little sister that his parents spent most of their time looking after.  He felt like he was being ignored and left out, so he imagined me to become his friend that he could talk to.  I'm a beautiful princess with long flowing blonde locks like Rapunzel and purple eyes that sparkled like the stars in a pitch black sky.  He thought me to be kind and playful following him around everywhere he went.

Until about the age of 10 anytime we had gone to a family outing - restaurant or vacation - or a birthday party, he always asked them to save a spot for me because I was his friend.  After he turned 10 though, he slowly stopped doing until it happened no longer.  That was the first time I started to fade away.

He then started to ask me for advice on different things like girls and school instead of asking me now my day was or to play a board game.  My kid also asked me to stop following him around everywhere because I was embarrassing him in front of his new friends.  I had then started to fade away even more becoming just a blurry vision.

I was then forgotten about until he turned eighteen and said, "Thank you for everything you've ever done for me."  Then I faded away completely.

* * *