Chapter 43 ~ Note

Danielle P.O.V

     I had dropped off Alice at her apartment after we ate. I then went to my apartment to change into more comfortable clothing. After slipping in some jeans I was on my way to the Chapel. When I got there I was greeted by Sal who passed by me.

"Heard you were in court today."  Said, Sal

"Yea and for the first time, it wasn't me," I said Jokingly.

      I laughed at my own remark and walked to Fuller's office. The door was strangely open. usually, it would be closed especially with all the noise in the Chapel, in the afternoons and mornings.

"Hey, Captain."

     I walked into Fuller organizing some files in his own file cabinet.

"Did the others tell you the verdict of Alice's trial."

      Fuller didn't bother looking up from the file he was reading.

"Guilty, five-thousand dollars fine."

"Very good, but you missed the forever in your record part."

     He walked over to his desk and took a seat.

"Where were you?" He asked

"I'm sorry Captain, I took Alice out for lunch."

"After a court trial?" He asked furrowing his eyebrows

     I began to walk closer towards his desk.

"Yea, well I wanted to tell her some stuff and question her on other stuff."

"You told her about M.U.C.P?" Asked Fuller

     I looked down onto my hands, ashamed in a way.

"Yea, but she thinks she's heard about it. She told me that Lincoln's been in the Military, Airforce to be exact."

     I took a seat in one of the seats in front of his desk.

"She told me she read it in a journal of his. I'm starting to think that this program really is relating to him."

"Your beginning to think it's real?" Asked Fuller

     I nodded,

"Yea, wouldn't you? Sure there are some gaps, but things are beginning to click."

"I understand." Replied Fuller,

     Fuller looked back down at the files on top of his desk. I stood up from the seat and said,

"Well, I know you've got a lot of work to do, so I'll leave you to it."

      I left his office and walked to my desk. I laid back and read a file as I reached down to go to my snack drawer. Strangely it was filled with food I didn't buy. I looked down at it with a puzzled grin. Was there some kind of food fairy, I didn't know about? There was a small note in the drawer. I opened up the paper and read the message given inside.

"Sorry for eating all your food, felt bad." - Dennis

     I smiled at the message. Wow, was all I could think to myself. He couldn't even put an 'I' in front of 'felt'. I folded the note and placed it into my Jean pocket. I ripped a piece of paper and made a not myself.

"Thanks, appreciate it" - Danielle

     He wasn't at his desk, nor was Hanson, So I thought they might have gone out together for a case or something. I folded the paper and placed it on his desk. I thought about him and what Alice had said. No, they couldn't have, but the curiosity was getting the better of me. I knew I wouldn't be able to speak to Lincoln, and I doubted he wanted to speak to me. I knew I couldn't let my mind take over, but what if it was true.

"Hey." Judy's voice had frightened me out of my thoughts.

"You looked like you were in deep thought."

"I was, I was thinking about what Alice had told me in the diner."

"Oh, Fuller just informed me that Lincoln was in the Military."

     I sighed,

"Yea, if only we could get that journal of his, or at least find that stupid book."

     Judy gave me a sympathetic look while holding a file against her chest.

"Yea, it's like every time we get close to something. there's a barrier."  Stated Judy

"Yea, why does everybody have to hate us?" I asked

"We're cops we have to enforce the law. People don't like to be told what to do."

      Judy was right, she always was. She always had a good answer for things even when she shrugged, you always knew it was the best from her."

"Where did Booker and Hanson go?" I questioned

"I don't know, they're always leaving to go take care of business."

     I sighed while losing eye contact with Judy.

"By the way, I saw the little note on Booker's desk, it's cute." Commented Judy

     I shook my head in denial,

"It is not cute, it's a thank you note."

"Yea, well, I saw the way you smiled when you read his."

"Because it was ....."

"Cute" Interrupted Judy, while now leaning closer to my desk.

"Okay, so it was nice. It means nothing, Jude."

"Mhm." Was all she said while giving me a sarcastic look.

"Judy, you're going to keep going with this aren't you?" I asked.

"You know the answer to that question." Replied Judy

     I stood up now, to make my way to the Coca-Cola Refrigerator

"Nice guy Jude, but I don't like him in that manner. I barely know the guy."

       Judy followed behind, now lowering the file to her side.

"Danielle aren't you known for taking risks?" Asked Judy

"I don't know ask David Copperfield."

     I lowered my upper body down and retrieved a soda from the fridge.

"Why don't you try this for a change?" Asked Judy

"What? Going out with a guy?" I asked.

"Sure why not?" Suggested Judy

        I sarcastically laughed loudly while walking back to my desk.

"Judy I don't need a man in my life, especially right now. You should know that more than anyone." I replied

"I never said you needed a man in your life, I just want you to give this a try."

     I popped open my soda and took a sip. I looked straight at Judy as I sat down. 

"I'm not doing it." Was I all I said

"Fine." Was all she said as she shrugged and turned around, walking back to her desk.

      I didn't have feelings for Booker, that's the truth. I didn't know him well enough and take in thought he has a girlfriend. I didn't think I was ready for another relationship, especially after Warren.

End of Chapter 43