Chapter 42 ~ Exchange

Danielle P.O.V

     The man who had represented the jury had taken a seat and the Judge read Alice's verdict.

"The act will permanently go onto Alice Overwright's record and she will have due a 5,000 dollar fine in 30 days. Thank you, Jury for your service today. Court is now adjourned."

     The judge slammed his gravel for the last time and from there everyone began to stand up and even Judge Ford himself had left the courtroom. I didn't feel like standing. I didn't feel like doing anything.

     I was upset for Alice, but I was relieved that she didn't get any jail time. Judy, Hanson, Booker and I eventually left the courtroom. 

"Well, we better go back to the chapel. Fuller is going to want us there."

"No, I'm going to stay here for a little while, Try to talk to Alice," I said

"Do you think she's going to want to talk after this?" Questioned Judy, and she was right. I wasn't sure if she would end up feeling uncomfortable or maybe hate towards me.

"I'll take what I can get. Tell Fuller that I apologize, but that I'll be there as soon as possible." Hanson nodded and the rest of them left the building.

     I waited for Alice outside of the courtroom where there were some seats. I knew she would have paperwork to fill out. I wondered if she would take my invitation to go out to eat. As if it was some celebration of some sort, it must be so insulting for me to ask something like that, so I stood up to leave.

     But before I could I heard a voice behind me,

"Lavinski?"

     I turned around to see Alice in her professional looking outfit and her hair out of her face, I asked her,

"Hey, umm I wanted to ask you if you wanted to have lunch?"

     Alice looked down at her shoes for a second before accepting my request. In the car, I was afraid of asking her about the trial. I was afraid of an outburst or of a justifiable reason.

"So.. did you have to fill out paperwork?" I asked knowing the answer to my own question, but I didn't know what else to ask.

"Yes." Was all she said.

     She stared ahead the entire time, it was as if her eyes were dead.

"They caught blondie," I informed

"I know I was there."

     She looked over her face clearly irritated.

"Oh, sorry, I forgot."

"Look we can talk about the case and trial, it's fine."

"Are you sure?" I asked, "Because if you don't feel comfortable we don't have to talk about it."

"You're going to have to do things in life that make you uncomfortable, plus if we don't talk about it the tension will kill us."

     I smiled at her comment. It was true. I took notice that Alice is very open-minded.

"What do you think is going to happen with Lincoln?" I asked

     Alice shrugged,

"I don't know, but I found out his trial is in two weeks."

"Oh, we found out about something, and I think we might need your help."

     She raised her eyebrows in interest and it seemed as her energy was becoming alive again.