Faethfully Yours: Chapter One

Faethfully Yours Book One: Awakening

Blurb: My name is Charlotte O'Dean and I am a Faerie. I know what you're thinking and no, I do not fit in the palm of your hand nor do I sprinkle pixie dust. To those who are a bit more knowing: No, I will not turn you into a pile of ash....unless provoked of course.

I wasn't always this way, a faerie. I once thought myself an ordinary girl, with ordinary problems, Until I almost killed someone...

How about I start the story from there?

                             ***

Chapter One

I always thought it would happen during a storm. Rain would batter against my skin while angry winds howled around me. I’d be lost, enveloped, and smothered by a shrouding mist. Broken breaths would be my only company, offering me little comfort because at least I’d know I was alive...even if just barely. And, it would be night. Death would come swiftly under the cover of complete and utter darkness. 

Isn’t that what we’ve all been conditioned to believe, the way it’s depicted in countless movies? First would be the storm, then the suspenseful music eases in, trebling in the background warning of the cataclysmic event around the corner? Well, I didn’t get any rain. No wind.  Heck, not a cloud in the sky. But the suspenseful, sweat inducing, grip your lungs music was all there. I walked through the crowded campus of Shongopovi Community College, each footstep hammered deafeningly in my head. More like the thundering heart of a prisoner nearing the gallows than that of a girl approaching her best friend, but to my defense it wasn’t every day that I went out and did something unpredictable. Unpredictable…Definitely not the type of word associated with me. Responsible, yes. Unpredictable, never.

I still couldn’t believe what I had done as I stopped behind an oblivious Casey and used one hand to tap her shoulder, the other clenched tightly at my side to steady my nerves. In a cinematic slow, Casey looked over her shoulder, her body following at a sloths speed. On cue, hunter green eyes bulged, her mouth gaping even wider, only there was no sound. It was the expected reaction, the one I’d silently predicted the moment I decided on my change.

“What? You don't like it?" I asked. Her eyes widened a fraction more. There were a lot of things in her stare, from the obvious shock, to suspicion, to strangely enough, traces of worry. But, finally—finally, "Charlotte it’s—it’s brilliant! It’s different, but amazing, and—”

Unpredictable?” Blowing out a that’s putting it mildly breath, Casey nodded. Her stare, however, remained fixed on my new revelation…my hair.

Hair. Not a big deal, right? Well, to me it was. I wasn’t blessed with my father’s midnight black hair, or equally dark eyes, no. My whitish blond hair and pale blue eyes is courtesy of my mother, or at least I think so. I never met her, and my father never spoke of her; he never really spoke at all. Natural deduction, however, left my mother to thank. Knowing that made her seem real, like we shared a secret link. But, standing there before Casey’s perplexed stare, it was clear the link snapped.

Casey shook her head in awe, the lines of concern on her face deepening. “Do you regret it? Crap, Charlie. You cut it all off, how does it feel?"  

I really considered her question. Running my fingers through the short locks, I bit my lip, simmering in the truth for the first time. "I feel good, dark…sexy,” I told her, unable to contain the smile of satisfaction twisting my lips.

Casey leaned casually against the wall and stared for a few thoughtful seconds. "Alright, spill it. Who is he?"

"Who's who?"