Chapter 10: Just Not Worth It

It was Friday and I was nervous. Lunch was right around the corner and I was packing up getting ready to meet Jake at the mall. I think we're either going to Kay's or Zales. I sighed as my heels started to tap against the floor and I buzzed Sarah. "Hey, I'm running out for a bit, I should be back soon. Make sure this place doesn't fall apart." I laughed lightly and I could hear the smile in her voice when she responded back on the intercom, "okay. I'll try my best." She giggled lightly at the end and I walked out with a smile on my face, shaking my head lightly.

Entering the parking garage, I unlocked my car using the key fob and climbed in, letting her purr to life. I drove off down the street and pulled into the mall parking lot. I immediately recognized Jake's F350 power stroke in a parking space further from the entrance. Pulling up next to him, I met him outside of my door and smiled. "You ready?" I grinned at him and he nervously shuffled. "What if she says no." I turned a little to get a better look at him and his facial features were filled with worry and sadness. Turning on my heels I got a better look at him as I stood in front of him.

Even though I was wearing heels, my head tilted up lightly to see his face more. "Belle loves you, Jake. Like really, really loves you. She'd do anything for you. Also, I know Belle, she's not really someone you would call a dater. So, with her being with you for this long I think it's the real deal. She gets bored easily, like a week easy. Y'all been together for a little while now, almost three years, Jake. You've got this. She wants you to be her husband." He smiled lightly then nodded. "You're right. Let's do this." I grinned and together we walked into the store, ready to find the perfect ring.

**************
What shit show it's been. We have browsed what felt like three thousand and one rings and yet nothing. Either Jake didn't think it was Belle enough or I didn't. With sigh Jake slumped down, ready to quit. He let out a sigh and I did too as I began to relook where we were just standing. "Wait, Lay." I turned to Jake and began to meet him. "What about that one?" He questioned and before I could make it there he was already demanding someone to grab it. "That one! I want to see that one." The nice lady grabbed the ring for him and he turned around and held it delicately in his hand. "This is it, Lay. This is the perfect ring for, Belle."

Getting closer I inspected the ring. Simple, but not too simple. A little bit extra, just how Belle likes it. "It really is." I whispered to myself as I nodded to Jake. "It's the one." I responded with a smile and he laughed as he ran to buy it. I rolled my eyes, and soon my eyes were betraying me and wondering across all the rings. I sighed and glanced down at my left hand and back at the rings. I couldn't help but to feel like a shitty best friend for thinking that it should be me. But I was thinking it, and it really should be me. Too bad I can't run away from this past and change my name all over again. Wouldn't that be great.

Why did he even have to come back? He should've stayed where ever he ran off to. He shouldn't have even left me to begin with. I'm tired of this emotional rollercoaster. I want to be with Connor. Like really be with Connor, but for as long as Ace is around I just can't see it happening. Ace is that one song they play on the radio; totally cliche and makes you want to scream, but also makes you wanna turn the radio up and sing louder than the music or just dance to the beat. Ace is that song. The song you want to hate but secretly love and will continue to listen to all the time.

It sucks. I want to scream and pull my hair out and cry and kiss him and kill him and hate him but I love him and it's annoying. He's constantly playing with my feelings like we're still in high school. We're grown now, we don't need this shit. I don't need this shit.

"Hello, Lay?" Jake called out to me and I looked at Jake, who is now stood in front of me with a Kay's bag. "You okay?" He questioned with a tilt of his head and I smiled politely, nodded and replied. "You ready, just thinking about work." I heaved an annoyed sigh and he chuckled, shaking his head. We turned to leave and out the doors we went. We bid our goodbyes as we got into each of our cars. Jake was stood in front of me and he smiled down at me. "Thank you, Lay. It means a lot you were willing to come help me." I smiled back. "Of course, it's the least I could do." He pulled me into a small hug and when he bid his goodbye, he walked over to his truck and climbed in.