Chapter 3: Whirlwind

Rolling over with a groan my eyes struggled to adapt to the brightness. I sat up and looked around at the unfamiliar room. 

"Jesus Christ you look like shit." I grumbled at his response and rolled, my now open eyes, and grabbed the water and headache medicine extended for me. Gulping it down, I rubbed my eyes and held my throbbing head in my hands trying to recall anything from last night at the club.

"What the hell happened?" He chuckled and shrugged. "I don't remember much either." I grinned sarcastically at him and he flashed me a dazzling smile. "You know, Conner, that doesn't help much." He shrugged as he leaned against the door frame to his room as we just watched one another, lost in our own thoughts. 

"Oh shit!" I jumped up suddenly, throwing the blankets off me and looked down seeing I was still in my outfit from last night, excluding my shoes. So, I quickly located them and grabbed them between my hands. 

"What's wrong?" Connor's voice brought me out from my rushing to get back to my place in time. "My landlord is going to be at my loft soon, and I still need to hide Charlie's food and stuff." I was stressing myself out and worrying what my landlord would do when he found out I betrayed him and bought a dog.

In my defense my nights are extremely lonely, okay?! Connor chuckled at me shaking his head and pulled my body into his large one, cradling me in his arms. I sighed as I started to relax and dropped my shoes as I wrapped my arms tightly around his waist.

He smoothed down my, most likely frizzy and sweat induced hair and calmed my raging nerves. "Really, I have to go, or I'll never make it in time." He nodded and I pulled back slightly, but he kept his arms pushed against my back and looked down at me.

I scrunched my eyebrows in confusing and smiled up at him as I looked at him. He shook his head and lowered his hands to grip my hip. I stiffened at where his hands had landed and he brushed my shirt up slightly to rub the tattoo.

"I know you love him, but he's not here, but I am. And I love you." I was shocked that Conner had felt that way about me. I shook my head and he mimicked me, cradling my head in his hands and pushing back my tangled hair. 

"I know that we tried, and we failed, but I want you. God damn do I want you, Layne. Just let me be with you." His nose rubbed mine and my hands shock limply at my sides. "Conner." I whispered shaking my head again and he grabbed my face in his hands once again and cradled my face. 

"I'm not telling you I love you, to hear it back. I'm telling you because I want you to know that even after something so horrible like that, you can still be loved and cherished the way you should be. I respect you so much, Layne, and I know you aren't ready to move on.." He trailed off a bit, sighed and continued. 

"But I will always be waiting for you. No matter how long it takes. I'll wait for you." His lips brushed mine and I froze completely, not able to form any words, but I didn't have to. His lips never made contact with mine, instead found a way to my forehead and lingered there for awhile. 

He pulled back and away from me all together. He smiled at me, tucked my hair behind my ear and picked up my things, handing them to me and smiling. All the while I still stood frozen to my spot. As I glanced up at him and his eyes held no hate only love as he still stood smiling, a bit sadly, but still smiling, I found myself smiling right back.

I grabbed my things and left his apartment without anymore than that. 

Shit. 

My life was shit.

I was in shit.

My landlord was shit.

I again, was in shit.