Chapter 15: With You I Can't Resist

I couldn't sleep. Let alone, breathe. When he's this close to me I can't breathe. My throat clogs up and my hands get all sweaty, like he's this whole new person I know nothing about. But maybe that's why, I don't know Ace. I knew him before but not now. He's a different person. I am too, though. 

"Ace?" I whispered into the room that was still and dark. "Yeah?" Was his response, but I didn't answer. I didn't know how to. I didn't know what I wanted to say. We were both laying on our backs and his hand guided under mine, and held it delicately. 

My heart beat pounded in my chest and I wanted nothing more than to curl up in his arms and be like how we had once been. "I've missed you so much. You have no idea how much I've cried over you. It was pathetic. You made me so weak." 

"Laney, you are the single-handedly strongest person I have ever met in my life." I sighed whilst screwing my eyes shut tightly. He rolled over on to his stomach and laid next to me. "I never meant to hurt you." My breath was shaking and I turned my head to the wall and pulled my hand from his, so I could play with the blankets. "But you did." 

"You out of all the people were supposed to never hurt me. You had promised me, Ace. You promised you'd never leave me and you did." I sighed as he made no move to talk. "The years passed and we moved on. We're different than we once were, you know." He sat up and my eyes tried to adjust to his face in the dark. 

"Then lets get to know each other all over again. Come on a date with me?" Despite the slight pause I wanted to take, a smile creeped upon my lips and I rolled my eyes. "Is that anyway to ask a lady out on a date?" He grinned at me and shook his head. 

"I guess not." With that, he grabbed my hand and attempted to look into my eyes. "Laney, if you would do me the honor of getting up and getting ready so I can take your perfect ass on a date, it would be much appreciated." I scoffed a laugh, "I have to get ready now?" He nodded and began pulling my hand to get out of bed. 

"Ace, it's 5:30 in the morning?" He shrugged, "who said dinner and a movie is the only thing to do on a date?" I rolled my eyes as he pushed me into the bathroom. I turned around in the doorway of the bathroom with my arms crossed and his chest against mine. "What? Want me to join you?" I rolled my eyes and took on a defensive stance. 

"I think you have to take me on a date first." I pulled on a false thinking face and he nodded, "yeah, I guess I do." I nodded and took a step back so I could shut the door. His protest and groans came floating through the door and I laughed as I stripped down and turned the shower on.

******************************************

After we were both ready to go it was now quarter after seven.

"You take forever, you know that?" I rolled my eyes before the response came. "Yeah, I think this pretty woman told me one time, or a few." He shrugged while giving me a look and I smiled with a roll of my eyes.

"You're a cliche." He shrugged, "you love it." And that I do. More than you'd ever know. Instead of saying this however, I rolled my eyes and we walked out of the hotel together. His hand rested on the small of my back as he guided me through the doors. 

The crisp California air smacked me in the face and although it was only seven in the morning, it was still as awake as it's always been. "I guess the city really doesn't sleep at night, huh?" I glanced up at him with a smile, "I was just thinking that." He laughed and shook his head as we began to walk a little ways down the sidewalk. 

He turned the corners so expectantly, like he knew where to go. However, I stayed a step behind him, following him blindly like I always have. I glanced around me, to peer at the congestion of the side walks, Ace turned his head back lightly to assure that I was still behind him. I guess he was afraid I'd get swallowed whole by the groups of hurried people, making their way to their destinations, for he grabbed my hand and guided me gently.

We stopped in front of a cafe, he swung the door open for me and then guided me in from the small of my back. I lead the way to a small booth in the corner, Ace taking the seat across from me. I sat quietly as I twirled my hands together. 

Our eyes met and he smiled at me and I returned a small one. Looking at Ace now, it was almost like looking at a stranger, if it wasn't for his boyish grin and blue and green eyes, I would hardly recognize this Ace. 

A server came and collected our orders, just two coffees. We didn't speak much until our drinks were filled in front of us and I swirled mine before taking a sip. "I guess you've been pretty busy then, huh?" He questioned with a small smile on his face as he set his mug down. I set my mug down too and looked up to see his face. 

I roamed my eyes, searching every inch of his. Maybe this is the closure I needed from him, to finally be able to move on with my life. So, instead of replying to his question my mouth decided to open up and speak for itself.

"Where have you been, Ace?" It took everything in me to not sound so pathetic. My stomach churned in anticipation and I watched as his face got heavy. He didn't reply, because I didn't give him the chance to. "Why are you here now? After these years. You never called me. You ignored me, Ace. You broke me." The feelings of abandonment came flooding back and I willed myself to not cry.

"Not here, Lay." He too sounded broke, but what was he to be broken about? I never left him. I loved him.

"Then when, Henry? Two and a half years? Because that is how long I waited for you." He didn't respond and I nodded as I stood up. I reached my hand into my purse and tossed a ten dollar bill onto the table.

"Layne, wait." He sighed as he stood up and I shook my head as I held a hand up. "Two and a half years, Ace." I shook my head as he just stood there. "Now excuse me, I have work I need to be doing." He sighed and stood in my way. Once I gave him a look that pleaded with him to move, he heaved a sigh and stepped to the side, allowing me to pass. 

Once again, Ace Richardson let me walk away, but this time I think I was glad that he didn't follow me.