Chapter 3: Brighter Than The Sun

Song: Brighter Than The Sun - Colbie Caillat

Matilda's POV
When I reach the top of the ladder and step into the wooden house I'm completely shocked. It not just a normal little tree house but its like a small flat it's huge! It has a small table with four seats, there is cupboards and bench top, there a desk with a laptop and paper on it and under the window there is a day bed. Someone could almost live up here.

"Impressive hey?" Justin asks

"Yes very" this is the coolest thing I've ever seen in a tree.

"I still can't believe you made this" I say whilst spinning around with my arms up in the air.

"I pretty much everything in here, I made the cupboards, the desk, the table and chairs and I made the base of the day bed" how on earth does he even have the time to make this let alone the fact that he actually made it.

"How did you even have the time?" I ask curiously

"Well I have an apprenticeship with the builder here so we work on it together sometimes, I also work on it when ever I have spare time so I've done quite a lot this summer"

"Well it looks amazing" I reply walking over to the day bed and sitting down.

We spend over an hour just sitting and talking. I found out that Justin is the oldest of four children, he has two brothers and one sister. His parents are divorced because his mum was a 'nutcase' were his way of describing it. He barely sees his mum any more. His dads name is Peter he who's the hard wear in Hartton, Peter remarried last year to a girl named Nicole and now they live happily here in my street.

In return I tell Justin about myself. I tell him about my friends, my school, where I live, my favourite foods, my favourite places to visit and I finish with my family spending most of the time talking about my mother and how she expects so much more from me than I can give her.

"Well she sound like a pain" he tells me and I laugh at his response

"You haven't even met her" I reply still laughing

"From what you just told me she seems like a pain" I feel like I have to defend my mother even though he's right she is a pain most of the time

"You can't judge a book by it cover...... But you're right she is most of the time"

A minutes turn into hours and hours turns into nightfall before we climb down the tree and walk to the front of the house.

"Well I guess I will see you tomorrow" he tells me and I'm confused, we hadn't even made any plans

"You will?" I question him not knowing what he is talking about

"Yeah, your going down the beach tomorrow morning for a surf aren't you?"

"I am"

"And I'm going to come with you....... Well I will if you want me to" he tells me, of course I want him to come its so lonely and a little but boring surfing alone, company is always better

"I will meet you at the front if my house at half past six" I tell him before turning around and walking down the dive way.

The sound of Justin's voice makes me turn around

"I had fun hanging out with you today, our not like the other girls I've met here" a smile forces to my face as I hear the words

"I... I had fun too" I reply, this suddenly got really awkward but it's a nice kind of awkward

"See you at six thirty then" he smiles and begins to walk away.

When I open the gate and walk into the backward my parents, Pixie, Aunt Nicole, Uncle Joseph and my cousin Sophia are sitting around the table.

Crap.

I forgot all about dinner with the family oh no mum is going to go off!

"Matilda Anna, where have you been all day?" She questions me angrily

"I...." I don't know what to tell her, oh yeah I've just been causally hanging out with some surfer guy I met down the beach today, I think not.

"I've been with Lily she called me to say she was here for lunch so I walked in and met her, we lost track of time I guess" wow lying comes for naturally to me I actually think I convicted her

"What, now you lie to your own mother don't make up stories I know you were with that drop kick boy from next door" she's gone to far now, if my aunt and uncle weren't here I think I would have slapped her across the face right there and then but instead that will have to wait for later.

"Come on Soph lets go" I gesture to my bedroom as se stands and walks to my side. When we reach my bedroom I slump down onto my bed and Sophia joins me by doing the same.

"So, who's this guy from next door?" I knew she would be nosey but I didn't care Sophia and I were close to be honest she is my favourite family member.

"He's names Justin" I reply

"How'd you meet? Is he cute? What's he like?" I laugh at all her questions but decide that I do actually want to talk about him

"We met on the beach he came over to me when I had just finished surfing, he walked me home and we found that we lived next door to each other...." I continued to tell her every detail about us meeting and the note from down the street, I tell her about the tree house I tell her everything. I tell her about the way I feel when I'm around him, the way it feel so right so natural I feel like I'm finally me not the girl I pretend to be around my mum.

"So is he cute? Im guessing he is since you spent all day with him" She asks again seriously sometime she's acts a little to obsessed with boys, I guess that's what happens when your a teenager

"It's more that just looks Soph, it's what's on the inside that matters"

"She he's ugly then?" How did she seriously get that out of what I just said

"No! It's actually really cute" I answer honestly remembering how his brown-black hair with slight waves contrasts agains his sun tanned skin, how his ocean green eyes sparkle like the ocean against the sun. She is really cute.

We spend the rest of our time together laying on my bed talking. We talk until around 12 we would have talked for longer if I succeeded with my plan for Sophia to stay the nigh but my mum with shitty and wouldn't give in.

Not long after Soph and the rest of the family left I decided tonight wasn't the time to fight with mum I would leave that for tomorrow. I was late so I chose to go to bed.

Once I got into bed I grabbed my laptop and opened face book. I clicked on my inbox to cheek my messages. Today in the tree house Justin and I friended each other on face book and other social media we each had. I had one new message from Justin.

Justin: I had fun today, I hope you don't get into trouble looking forward to tomorrow :)

I read the message a least three time smiling more each time I read it. I decided that I would reply.

Me: I had fun to, I forgot my aunt and uncle were coming for dinner tonight so my mum was angry but I don't care I had fun, see you tomorrow.

I clicked send and closed me laptop. I closed me eyes and the images from today plate over and over in my mind before the sleep drowned them out. That night I dreamed of a surfer boy with dark hair, sparkling green eyes and tanned skin that makes me feel so complete. Justin.

Hey, now that it is nearly school holidays for me yayyyyyy! I will probably update more regularly because I'm guessing I will have a lot of free time so I will update as soon as I can. I hope you enjoy this chapter. If you have any suggestions on how I can improve my writing please comment and let me know I would really appreciate it, I know I'm not the best writer but I'm trying and I enjoy it. Xx