Chapter 41: First Comp

Matilda's POV
My alarm goes off much too early. The mid-Autumn mornings are not my cup of tea. I groan at the thought of this morning. Usually I don't mind waking up early since that's the price you pay when you love to surf, but today is just ridiculous.

Today is the day of our first competition. So far, we have spent the last three months training. Now we get to put all the training to the test.

Throughout the year, a number of competitions that we receive points for will occur. The male and female with the most points at the end of the year will win the spot of the World Tour.

Beth and Scott requested a five am morning start. Since the comp is here at Bells Beach, we have to help set everything up.

I leave the comfort of my warm bed and pull on my lucky blue bikini. Yes, I have a lucky bikini. I throw my hair into a messy pony tail and jump back into my bed.

I lay in bed, not caring that I should be eating breakfast before the comp. I groan when I hear the click of my door being opened.

"Tilds, come on," Justin says, walking over to my bed.

"It's too cold! Please don't make me," I pout, flashing him my puppy eyes. Justin catches on and laughs.

"Nice try," he says and I frown. "Come on, you can't miss the comp unless you don't want to win."

Reluctantly, I inch out of my bed. Justin grabs my waist, pulling me closer.

"Here," he says, pulling one of his large hoodies over my head, a huge smile plastered on my face.

It was miles to big and looked like a dress on me, but it was warm so I didn't mind.

Hand in had, we skip down the stairs and into the kitchen. After breakfast we all head down to the beach.

We help set up tents with seats and tables for the judges, we bring out food and drinks for everyone and we put up competition flags along with all types of surf brand.

After everything is all ready to go, we all head back up to the house to finish getting ourselves ready.

The time flies by and before we know it, we all stand on the beach, surrounded by our competitors about to start the first heat.

They really picked the perfect day for the competition. Despite the freezing morning, the cold had cleared into a nice temperature. Not to mention the swell was amazing! Bells is producing some of the best waves I've seen all year.

The first heat was starting in around five minutes. Of course it's ladies first.

"Okay guys," Beth says bringing us all out of our thoughts. "It's time to see how well your skills have developed. Treat this as nothing more than everyday training. No need to be nervous, it's only surfing. Try your best and remember to have fun."

"You ready?" Justin whispers into my ear after Beth has finished talking.

"Yeah, a little nervous but I'll be fine," I reply. He places a swift kiss to my cheek before us three girls make our way over to the marshalling area.

The siren finally blares and all the girls dash to the water. I follow at the back of the pack knowing that I'll paddle faster than most of them.

I'm right. I'm the first one to reach the line up and the first to catch a wave. As soon as I reach the line up a perfect set come rolling in and I know I can't pass them up.

"First wave of the day, Matilda Ryan from Bells Academy!" The commentator says through the megaphone.

The first heat went well. I didn't surf the best I'd ever surfed, but I was pretty close to my best.