Chapter 35: Moody Boys & Hosptials

Matilda's POV
The walk home was short, only lasting around ten minutes. In this ten minutes of boy free time, we chatted away about our new friends.

When we enter the house, we throw our bags onto the floor next to the stairs and walk into the kitchen.

"Ah girls!" Scott says as we enter, "now, as you all know training starts today so everyone go get changed into appropriate clothing for bush walking and meet me down at the van in five minutes" Scott explains, we all rush off to get ready.

Once finished, I make my way to the van and take a seat on the warm cement with the others. Scott and Beth soon come out wheeling a board over to us.

The white board is covered with a table. The table has a column for each of our names and has time periods as rows. Everything is blank.

"Okay so we're just going to talk a bit about how training works before we leave" Scott says, "Beth will be doing the morning trainings, which starts tomorrow?" He says looking over at Beth.

"Yes it starts tomorrow" Beth confirms. "Morning sessions will always be down at the beach. It will consist of dry work on the beach and training in the pool, no surfing sorry guys" she says.

"Training after school will be run by me" Scott says, "it will always include something away from the beach. After that, we'll come back to the beach and Beth and I will run a surfing session together. How's that sound?" He asks and we all nod.

"Okay so now for the point system" Beth says whilst pointing to the board. "To qualify for the final wild card surf off, you'll each need a total of sixty points or higher."

"How do we get points?" Blair asks.

"Oh yes! You'll receive points by doing well at school, helping out around the house and for your surfing" Beth says, "we'll talk about the house work over dinner tonight. Other than that do you have any questions?" She asks and no one says anything.

"Great! Let's go, everyone in the van!" Scott says and we all race into the van eager to start our first of many training session. When we're on the road Scott finally decides to tell us what we're doing.

"So this first session we do as a tradition. To be completely honest with you all, it has absolutely nothing to do with surfing. We just do it for fun" he laughs as we continue driving through the thick bush.

Scott eventually pulls off the road and into a small camp site. He parks the van and we all pile out.

"Okay for today you guys are going orienteering! You'll be in pairs and you'll have to work your way through the bush using a map and compass. Since you guys have shown a strong liking to each other it's made my job at choosing partners easy. So Blair and Vicky, Camilla and Kai and Matilda and Justin" he says and hands us a map and compass. "Along the way there will be check points where you have to collect a token. The first pair back will receive 3 points, the second will receive 2 and the last will receive 1."

Scott shows each pair to a different starting track and says go. Justin Immediately rushes down the track leaving me behind. I take off after him, running as I try to keep up.

"Justin!" I call out, "would you slow down!" Nothing. "Hey I can't keep up!" I yell and he finally come to a stop. "What's up with you? This is a team exercise, beside how do you know where to go? I have the map" I say once I reach him, but he says nothing. "I have no idea what's got you in such a bad mood, but this is for points so can you just forget it and work with me" I sigh.

"You don't know what this is about?!" He snaps and I shake my head whilst folding my arms across my chest. "Of course you don't" he scoffs, "you've been too engrossed in your new bff's to notice."