Chapter 19: I'm the master

Matilda's POV

Today Eliza and I are teaching our first surfing class and I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. I am. I don't know how to teach people to surf. It may seem simple, you know just teach them what I know, but I don't know how to teach surfing, my style just comes naturally to me.

There's also the thought of the kids hating me and not doing what they're told to do and then once in the water there's that responsibility of keeping everyone safe.

I'm sure we'll be fine.

*****

Eliza and I are walking down the beach to the surf school ready for our first day. We both have our own surf boards and westsuits.

We arrive at the surf school early to help Tommy set up everything and so he can explain what exactly we are expected to do today.

Tommy tells us that the lesson consists of 30 kids aged from 8 to 14 which isn't too bad. The 30 kids will be split into three groups, one will go with tommy, one with Eliza and the other with me. 10 kids in each groups isn't too bad.

When the kids arrive tommy is going to assign the kids into age groups. Today I'm taking the 8-10 class, Eliza will have the 10-12 class and tommy will have the older and more advanced kids.

I'm slightly happy having the younger groups because they're likely to know less about surfing so whatever I teach them they won't know if it's right or wrong.

We help set up the different sized surfboards into the three age groups and sought through the wetsuit sizes picking out the ones that will fit our aged kids.

We spread out along the beach carefully making sure all three classes have enough room. We then place our flags in the sand to indicate where are classes are taking place.

After everything is set up tommy tell us some basic things to teach and how to teach the kids. Shortly after the kids arrive. Tommy wastes no time to separate the classes and before you know it my group is walking towards my area. When we get to where I've set all the gear up I introduce myself.

"Hi everyone, I'm Matilda, but you can call me Tilda. So today you guys have a 2 hour session, we're going to start with some beach work just learning the basics then you'll get out in the water, sound good?" I say and they all nod "first of all we need to get you all a wetsuit then a board" I say as I couch down next to my container of wetsuits.

I ask all the kids they regular size if they know it or just randomly guess by their hight. The last person I had one out to is a small cute blonde girl who freakishly reminds me of myself when I was younger.

After the wetsuits are done I move onto to the surfboards. The cute blonde stands at the back all by herself. She doesn't look happy to be here. All the kids are excited except her.

"Hey what's your name?" I say crouching down to her eye level

"Belle" she says quietly

"Well Belle how about we get your board first?" I smile and stand back up placing my hand out for her to hold. She takes it as she nods. I lead her over to the boards which I've laid out along the sand.

"Which one would you like?" I ask her

"Um, what one did you learn on?" She asks me

"I used a yellow one" I tell her. I still remember the yellow foam board Tommy assigned me too. It loved that board. Eliza and I both used the yellow ones.

"Then I want the yellow one" she smiles. Belle is adorable.

For all the other kids I just take a board and give it to them. I give the shorter kids the smaller board saving the longer ones for the taller people.