Chapter 40. Seventeen

Matilda's POV
I wake to someone's finger repetitively poking at my cheeks. I roll over, burying my face in my pillow as I groan in annoyance. Justin's quite laughter fills my ears. I slowly turn to face him, still half asleep.

"Happy birthday beautiful," he chuckles, our faces mirroring smiles.

The date is March 7th. Today's the day, I'm finally seventeen.

"Care to join me for an early morning surf before training?" He asks and I groan.

My birthday happens to fall on a Monday, which means I'm still expected to attend training and school. All I really wanted was a good nights sleep and a lazy day at home.

"I just want to sleep," I grumble into my pillow, trying to push Justin away, but failing hopelessly.

"The conditions are perfect," Justin says, taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

"I don't care, leave me alone." A deep chuckle escaping his lips.

"Wind is heading south-eastly, the swells perfect," Justin says, trying to grasp my attention and believe me it's working. I just can't resist the ocean. "sets of three or four, at least two meters high, perfect break, barrels too and guess what, the beach is deserted," he says and I shoot out of bed.

"Let's go!"

Justin wasn't lying, Bells Beach is firing this morning. We quickly paddle into the warm Autumn water heading to the break. We surf until Beth is yelling at us to head back in to start training.

"Since it's Matilda's birthday she doesn't have to train, however, she still need to participate in some way," Beth says eyeing me. I don't miss that evil twinkle that already has me grinning. "You will work as a team in order of finding a solution to Matilda's participation."

Best training ever. The others had to carry me throughout ever exercise. Sucks for them, but man was it fun for me!

"Can I please stay home?" I beg Scott and Beth. Every birthday my parents let me stay home on my birthday. Like come on, who wants to be at school any day let alone on their birthday?!

"Sorry Tilda, but academy rules. You have to go to school in order to get points," Scott says and I sigh.

At school I'm treated like queen bee. Ella will be furious at the amount of attention I'm receiving today. People I have never seen before stop me in the hallway to hug me or wish me a happy birthday.

The day as so far, had gone perfectly, but I haven't seen the evil queen yet so I can't keep my hopes up. I know she's going to say something rude, so you could imagine the shock I got when I finally did talk to her.

"Happy birthday Tilda," Ella smiles, leaning against my locker. Like really smiles. Not a fake smile, but a real smile. And for once, she didn't get my name wrong.

"Um, thanks?" I answer, grabbing my lunch bag from my locker, only now noticing the messy black writing on the bag.

Special lunch for my birthday girl
- J

I open up my bag to find my favourite Asian noodle salad. A smile breaks out on my face. Justin is the cutest.

"You guys are too adorable," Ella says, linking her arm with mine. I frown in confusion when she starts to walk down the hallway, dragging me with her.

"Um, Ella," I stumble, "what are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" She says, gesturing for me to sit at her table.

"Why are you being so nice to me?" I ask, awkwardly taking a seat.

"Because it's your birthday?" She shrugs, but I know better.