34

madison's pov

"Hey, Madison," Calum said softly, gripping onto my hand as I opened my eyes. "The doctor said that you lost quite a bit of blood, but nothing they couldn't fix."

I sighed, relieved at this news. "How long was I out?"

"Just through the night. It's about nine in the morning now. I let Ash and Ellie take my car home and Ash is gonna pick me up later. I didn't want to leave you."

"Do my parents know I'm here?" I questioned.

"Oh, yeah. They were here last night, Caleb too. But they needed to leave for work, so I stayed."

"Ok," I replied, glad that they had been there at least.

"Your dad was freaking out, saying he knew he shouldn't have let you go out last night."

I squeezed his hand. "Don't worry about it, babe. He needs to realize this could've happened anywhere." I offered him a smile and he leaned in, kissing me on the cheek.

"Alright." He looked down at his phone, saying, "well Ashton just texted me that he's on his way. Why don't you just take it easy for the rest of the day and I'll be back tonight? I just wanna go home, take a shower and tackle some homework."

"Ok, I'll miss you," I pouted, showing my disappointment that he was leaving.

"Don't be upset, you'll love me so much more after I clean up and smell nice," he said with a smile.

I grabbed onto his shirt and pulled him to me, kissing him with as much force as my weak body had. "Fine, but you better smell extremely nice when you come back."

**********

While I had my privacy, I asked the nurse for a notebook and pen. I had been thinking about writing something for Calum, a letter of sorts to show him how much he means to me. I figured that I should do it now, while I could still think clearly and wasn't too weak.

The nurse returned about ten minutes later with a notebook and pen, placing it on my tray. I thanked her as I moved my bed to a sitting position.

"You're welcome, dear. Let me know if you need anything else," she told me before leaving.

I started with Dear Calum, and then I just stared at my poor handwriting on the page. I tried to formulate my thoughts and feelings for him but I wasn't sure how to put them into words.

Finally, two hours later I was satisfied with what I had written. The letter had many drafts and I had crumpled up balls of paper scattered around me. I tore the finished letter from the notebook, careful not to have any of the fringe on the edge. I folded it into thirds and paged the nurse.

"Are you alright, Madison?" she asked, arriving a couple minutes later.

"Yeah, I'm fine. I have a favor to ask though."

"What is it, honey?" She walked farther into the room and took a seat on the edge of my bed.

I handed her my folded letter with Calum's name on the outside. "Will you hold on to this until I die and then make sure that Calum gets it?"

The nurse had a sad look in her eyes, but took the letter from me. "I'll make sure he gets it. I know how much that boy means to you and you to him."

"Thank you," I told her with a genuine smile.

"Don't worry about it, it's my pleasure. Now, how about some rest until that boy shows up again?"

I nodded and put the bed back into a laying down position. The nurse picked up the balls of paper surround me and threw them in the trash before she left.

calum's pov

"How's she doing?" Ashton asked as soon as I entered his beat up car.

"She's doing better, but I can tell that's she's getting weaker by the day." It pained me to admit to this because that meant our days together were more numbered than before.

"At least we sent Ellie to check on her last night and got her to the hospital."

"Yeah," I sighed and we drove the rest of the way in silence. I rushed into the house after he parked and ran upstairs to the shower. I turned the water on and stripped out of my clothes from last night. I adjusted the water to as hot as I could stand and stepped in. The water ran down my worn out body, soothing it with its warmth. I stood under the stream of water for about ten minutes, just thinking of nothing before I grabbed the bar of soap on the ledge and cleaned my body.

Once I was done showering, I stepped out and wrapped a clean white towel around my hips. I towel dried my hair before I changed into jeans and a blink-182 t-shirt. I put on a bit of the cologne that Madison loved and walked downstairs with my schoolbooks. I took a seat at the bar, my mom cooking in the kitchen.

"Calum, sweetie. How are you holding up? You're eating enough and getting a good amount of sleep, right?" she asked as she stirred something on the stove.

"Yeah, mom," I nodded. "I have been missing your home cooking though."

"Well, I'm almost done with this so why don't you bring it down to the hospital for you and Madison?" She gave me a smile. This was one of the many reasons I loved my mom.

"Sounds perfect," I told her. "I just want to get some of my AP work done. She should be resting for a bit anyway, so take your time."

"Aright, well you study up and I'll package this for up for you."

"Thanks," I said and opened up my biology text.

madison's pov

"Knock, knock," Calum said as he knocked and entered my room. "I have a surprise for you from my mom."

I stirred awake as he turned on the lamp next to my bed. He set a container down on my tray and opened it up. "Aw, this is so sweet. Hospital food sucks," I said as the scent of his mom's cooking entered my nostrils. His mom had cooked rice and some kind of chicken that looked delicious. Calum spooned the food on to two paper plates that he had brought with him. He began to cut up my chicken and I said, "Am I not allowed to cut up my own chicken?"

"Sorry. I just thought I would be helpful," he admitted. "Do you want me to stop?"

I shook my head. "No, it's nice to have someone to cut up my food. It makes me feel somewhat like a child though."

"You're anything but a child, Madison," he said as he finished and placed the plate in front of me. 

After finishing eating my whole plate, which I was surprised I was able to do, I sat back on my bed. "Tell your mom thank you for me. That was so good."

"I will," he said as he picked up the dishes. He came back over to my bed, standing next to it. I moved over and patted the space next to me. "Are you sure you want me in there?" he asked. 

"Just sit your butt down," I grinned and pulled him down. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and I snuggled closer to him. "I missed your touch," I said, thinking out loud.

Calum turned my face toward his with his open hand and placed a light kiss upon my lips. "Then I'll hold you all night." 

"I can't think of anything I would rather do than this," I told him.

After a few moments of just holding each other, Calum found a movie on TV. Halfway through, my eyes started to droop closed and he whispered, "fall asleep if you want. I'll be here when you wake up."

hi (: idk, but i really like how this chapter turned out. (it probably sucks though, sorry) please vote/comment and i hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. xx zoe

p.s. i haven't really added songs for my chapters, but i listened to afire love by ed sheeran while writing this and if you haven't listened to that (or his whole new album really) i recommend it.