23

"Michael?" I placed a hand on his shoulder and shook him a little, but he still didn't respond. I glanced to Calum for help, but he only shrugged. I sat back down in the pew and wrapped my arms around him. "I know it's hard, but we need to go to the reception. Aren't you hungry? I know how much you love food," I told him.

Michael sat frozen in my grasp, his only movements his shallow breathing. His blank stare was glued forward and I wasn't quite sure what he was looking at. "I'm not hungry," he said after a few minutes, barely moving his lips. 

"Maybe just some water then?" Calum suggested. "You must be thirsty after talking."

I smiled at Calum for trying to help, but Michael still wouldn't budge. "I think I'm going to head home."

"How are you going to get there? Didn't you come with Luke's mom?" I asked, remembering him telling me this the other night. 

He shrugged. "I'll just walk then," he stated like it was no big deal even though I was sure his house was at least a thirty minute walk from the church. 

"Don't be silly, mate. I'll drive you," Calum tells him.

Michael shook his head. "I think I'll walk." He made a move to stand and I removed my arms from around him. 

"Michael," I called after him as he walked toward the parking lot, but with his long strides he walked a lot faster than me. I ran as best as I could in my heels and I finally caught up to him. I grabbed onto his arm and turned him toward me. We were now at the edge of the parking lot and Calum was nowhere around us. "Michael, what are you doing?"

"Walking home," he mumbled, kicking at a rock. 

"Why wouldn't you accept Calum's offer? Walking is going to take you forever," I told him. 

"He doesn't get it Mads. And I just want to clear my head."

"Get what?" I asked. 

"He doesn't get what I'm going through. Why is he even here Maddie? He shouldn't be here!" Michael was raising his voice now and I backed away a few steps, hugging my arms around myself. 

I bit my lip, thinking about how to respond as I watched him pull at this bleach blonde hair so hard that I thought he was going to yank it out. "You think he's disrespecting Luke? Is that it?" I asked.

"They all are! Nobody knew him like I did. Nobody's going to know him like I did because he's gone, Maddie. He's just..." he trailed off at the end as he sank down to his knees in the parking lot, sobs covering up his words. 

I sighed and kneeled next to him. "Oh, Michael." I squeezed my eyes shut as I rubbed his back. "Shhh," I told him. "Of course not and you were important to Luke and I know he's looking down at you, wanting you to fight. He wouldn't want you to be angry at the world, Mikey."

"How am I supposed to go on? I did everything with him. I even started learning the guitar for him so we could start to be a band or something. He knew we could never make it big because we're sick, but I did that for him. He didn't know it though. I didn't have a chance to tell him yet."

"He would've loved that, Michael. And honestly, I don't know the answer to your question, but you need to try. You need to find something that makes you happy. Maybe that will be guitar?" I suggested. "Do you enjoy that?" 

He nodded slightly. "Yeah. I'm only teaching myself so I kinda suck, but I guess I could take lessons or something."

"See? You could do that and it could remind you of Luke. It could make you feel like you still have a part of him."

"How do you always know what to say, Mads?" he asked, leaning his head on my shoulder and causing me almost to topple over from the weight difference. 

"I really don't Michael," I squeezed my arms around him in a tight hug as Calum walked up to us. 

"Did you have to tackle him to stop him?" he asked, looking down at us.

Michael and I looked at each other and started laughing. I imagined myself tackling Michael as he speed-walked away from me and now couldn't get the image out of my mind. "No," I said in between laughs.

Calum shook his head at us, a smile upon his lips. "You up for that ride now, mate?"

"Sure," Michael replied and Calum held out a hand for him, which he took hesitantly.

We made our way to the opposite side of the parking lot, where Calum's Honda was parked and I climbed into the passenger seat while Michael crawled into the back. Through the rearview mirror, I noticed his head almost touched the roof of the car. "Why are you sitting in the middle?" I giggled, looking back at him.

He shrugged. "I don't know. This is where I always sit when I'm the only one in the back."

"You're such a weirdo," I told him, turning back to the front.

Calum turned on the stereo as he pulled out of the church, Green Day being the cd already in his car.

"Dude!" Michael exclaimed as American Idiot began to play. "You like Green Day?" 

"Of course! I love 'em. So does Madison."

"You never told me you like Green Day!"

I laughed at how excited Michael was getting over the fact we liked a band, but I was happy he was smiling. We all sang along as loud as we could, and soon Calum pulled into Michael's driveway. His expression turned grim again as he sat frozen in the car. 

"What's up?" I asked when a minute passed and he still didn't get out of the car. 

"Do you guys maybe wanna come in and play FIFA? I know I've never played with anyone but Luke but Calum here looks like he would be an alright opponent," Michael spoke to his feet, his voice quiet. 

"Are you kidding? I love FIFA!" Calum responded, shutting off his car.

"Hey! You don't think I would be good at FIFA?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. 

"No offense, Maddie, but it's a guys game."

I scoffed at him. "I bet I could beat both of you if you gave me a chance," I said, even though I knew I would lose having never played a single video game in my life. 

"You're both on!" Michael yelled, rushing out of the car and into his house in front of us.

I started to get out of the car, but Calum grabbed my hand. "Hey," he started. "Is he going to be ok?"

"I hope so," I nodded. "He just needs to know he's not alone. He only had Luke for so long and now Luke is gone and he isn't really sure what to do without him, but I think I can help him. He just needs a friend."

"Alright. Ready to go play some FIFA and get your butt kicked?" 

"Nope, because you're going to get your butt kicked!" 

Hi (: this chapter is a filler, but I hope you like it. I"m not really sure i like how i ended it, but anyway please vote and comment xx zoe