15

I was glad the next morning was Sunday because I didn't have tutoring and no chemo was sceduled, so I could lay in bed as long as I wanted. I woke up sort of early, but I just pulled my covers up higher and tried to fall back asleep. I had no such luck, because Calum kept finding his way into my thoughts with his dark brown eyes and the way his lips felt on mine. I smiled to myself, thinking about him. 

Awhile later, I felt my bed dip down beside me. I must've fallen asleep because the sheets were all twisted around me now. I opened up my eyes and turned to find my dad sitting on the edge of my bed. "Hey, kiddo," he said and placed a hand on my arm. "How are you feeling today?"

"I'm actually feeling pretty good," I smiled.

"That's something I haven't seen in awhile," he nodded toward my smile.

I rolled my eyes. "I've been hearing that a lot lately."

"It looks good on you, Mads. Well, I'm about to head to the shop, but mom is upstairs if you need anything." He stood up to leave.

"Hey, dad?"

"Yeah?" he asked turning back around, standing in the doorway. 

"Do you think that I could come with you? To work?" I really didn't want to stay home with my mom even if she would stay holed up in her office all day. 

"Do you think that's a good idea?" I stuck out my bottom lip in a pout, hoping that it worked on him. He sighed, "You know I can't resist that face of yours. Be ready in ten?"

I nodded, climbing off my bed. "Not a minute later!" 

I quickly changed out of Calum's sweatshirt I was still wearing from the night before and into a pair of skinny jeans and a Paramore t-shirt. I pulled a beanie over my head and ran upstairs in record time to meet my dad, who was sitting at the kitchen table. 

"That was fast," he replied, filling his thermos with coffee. He twisted the top on it and we made our way to his old beat up chevy. "So, what made you want to come with me today? You haven't been with me in ages."

I shrugged, knowing he was right. I used to go with him to work every weekend when I wasn't so sick and then I just kind of stopped. I wasn't really sure why, it just kind of happened. I thought maybe it was the cancer and my mom didn't want me being around a bunch of people, but I wasn't sure why I never started going back. 

"I bet Christian will love to have you around again," he said as he pulled into his normal parking spot. 

"Christian?" I asked, my voice abnormally high.

"You remember him, don't you? You guys always used to hang out. While, I finally hired him on because he was spending so much time. I think he knows the store better than I do," my dad laughed. 

I squeezed my eyes shut, suddenly regretting coming with. i remembered Christian all right. He was my first crush. 

"You coming?" he asked, waiting for me to get out of the car. 

I gulped before opening my door, trying to stop my body from shaking. I followed behind my dad slowly, afraid of what was going to happen. We walked in, my dad turning the closed sign to open before going behind the front counter. He set up the register for the day and I took a seat on the stool. 

"Is that what you're going to do all day?" he asked, raising his eyebrows. 

"Mhmm," I nodded. "I like watching you run the register." 

"Madison? Is that you?" 

My head turned in the direction of the deep voice. I recognized the boy instantly as Christian. His hair was dark and spiky now and he was dressed in black skinny jeans, a Nirvana t-shirt and combat boots. He was ridiculously tall, unlike how I remembered, but that could've been because we were ten. 

"Yep," I nodded, with a slight smile. 

"Wow. It's so good to see you!" He walked behind the counter and surprised me by wrapping his arms around me. I lightly hugged him back and couldn't help but notice how defined his muscles were. Stop, I told myself. You have Calum. 

Once he let go of me, I said, "It's good to see you too." 

"How have you been? I mean your dad's kept me updated, but how are you really?" He leaned back on the counter, causing his shirt to ride up and a sliver of his stomach to become exposed. 

"I need to do something in the back, you got the register Christian?" my dad interrupted.

"Oh yeah, Mr. Wright. I got it." 

"Um, I'm alright I guess. I mean it's cancer so, it takes a lot out of me," I stammered.  

"I bet. My uncle had cancer and that was so hard to see him go through that."

I chewed on my bottom lip, realizing that he just said his uncle died from cancer. I knew this was a bad idea. "So how have you been?" I decided to change the subject. 

"I'm good. Halfway done with senior year already."

"Do you know where you're going to school?"

He shook his head. "I don't think I am. I mean I've applied to the community college, but I wanna take up music I think. Your dad's been giving me some lessons on the side. He says I'm doing pretty good, but I don't know. Your dad is the who should've made it."

I smiled. "I know. I miss seeing him play. He doesn't do that anymore."

"That sucks. Maybe you should ask him," he suggested.

"Yeah. I just don't want to cross the line. I think he's trying to give up that part of his life, you know? Try and be more of a business man and make money or whatever. I don't know." I shrugged, not knowing if I was making any sense to him. 

"I suppose so. Well, I'd love to play for you sometime. Get another opinion to see if I'm any good. I've been too afraid to play for anyone but your dad."

"I'd like that," I told him honestly.

"Excuse me," someone rudely said at the counter causing me to stifle a laugh. Christian turned around and helped the upset lady with her purchase. She turned around with her head in the air like she was better than everyone and I wondered what she was even doing in a place like this. 

"Well that was rude," I said. 

"Very," Christian laughed. "So, Mads? Music date when I get off work?"

I nodded, wanting to clarify that it wasn't a date but I didn't. 

hi, please vote/comment (: and thanks for all the reads! xx zoe