06

I haven't seen Calum since the day he gave me a ride home from the mall, which was four days ago. Honestly that's because I haven't left my room unless it was to get food or to go to the bathroom.

"Maddie," Caleb shuffled into my room in his Cars pajamas and Lightning McQueen slippers.

"Yeah, bud?" I sat up in my bed, my comforter still around my bottom half.

"I miss you," he cooed.

I frowned and realized that I hadn't spent time with him in awhile. I was really close with him and we used to do stuff all the time because I was home so much. I couldn't always be near him when he was sick because my immune system was low, but he was honestly my favorite person in the world. "Aww. Come here, Caleb." I opened up my arms and lifted him onto my bed. "I miss you too," I squeezed him tight and hoped that I never had to leave him alone in this world.

"Too tight, Maddie," he struggled to get out.

"Oh, sorry." I released my grip. "So what should we do today? Your choice!" I tried my best to sound enthusiastic for him even though my spirits hadn't been very high lately. "Remember it has to be walking distance," I reminded him.

"The park?" the grin on his face went from ear to ear and he fidgeted with excitement.

I ruffled his light brown curls and said, "Of course! I haven't been there in ages." I hoped that dad would let me take him considering he had me on house arrest earlier in the week. "Why don't we both get dressed and we can leave in a bit?"

"You don't like my Cars jammies?"

I laughed, a genuine laugh. "I love them, but you can't go to the park in them silly."

"I like it when you laugh," the look on Caleb's face was serious as stood up on my bed, wrapping his small arms around my neck. "You don't laugh anymore."

"I'm sorry," I choked out, holding back a sob that I knew would come if he said another word. "Let me carry you to your room, yeah?" I felt him nod against me and I climbed off my bed. "You're getting so big," I commented to change the subject as I carried him upstairs.

"Mom says it's cause I eat all those disgusting green vegetables, but don't tell her I just pretend."

"I'll keep your little secret, but those vegetables are good for you." I set him down in his bedroom and left laughing. I hadn't laughed like that in a long time.

A half hour later, I was tying up the laces on Caleb's tennis shoes by the back door. "Mads? What are you doing?" my dad's voice came booming from down the hall.

"I was gonna come tell you in a minute, but I was gonna take Caleb to the park for a bit. That's ok, right?" I hoped that phrasing it like this made it so he couldn't oppose.

"Just not too long, Mads. I don't want you being exposed to germs for very long."

"There's germs all over the house, dad."

"But there's even more germs outside."

I rolled my eyes as I slipped my feet into my vans. "Whatever. See ya later."

"Not too long!" he repeated as we walked out.

"You excited, bud?" I swung our connected hands back and forth as we walked. The park was only a five minute walk from our house. It was a really nice day out and I was glad for the warmth of the sun. I hadn't gotten to feel the sun on my skin lately, which partly explained why I was so ghostly pale.

Caleb nodded eagerly. "I'm going on the swings first!" he declared. We walked the rest of the way in silence and once we got there, he extracted his hand from mine, making a mad dash for the swings. "Push me, Maddie!" he yelled. His small legs pumped back and forth furiously trying to get his swing higher. I walked up behind him and pushed him gently and he stopped pumping his legs. "Higher! Higher!" he demanded.

"You're already going really high," I said, but I obeyed his request.

"Stop me!" he said and was pointed off to something in the distance but I couldn't really tell what he was trying to get me to see. It was in the direction of the path and there were a few people running and a few others biking, but nothing out of the ordinary.

"Hang a second. You're so demanding, Caleb." I grabbed the metal chains of the swing, making it slow. He was off of it the second it stopped and ran off towards the path.

I groaned. I was not cut out for running after a kid. I have had no physical activity in I don't know how long. "Caleb, stop! You can't just run off!" I yelled, not sure if he heard me. I lost sight of him for a few minutes but found him kneeling in front of a chocolate lab. "Caleb, honestly. You can't do that. You scared me."

"Madison?" I looked away from Caleb and to the owner of the dog. I took a sharp intake of breath at the sight before me. It was Calum, but he was shirtless with a pair of black running shorts hanging dangerously low on his hips. Sweat was glistening on his tan, toned skin. A pair of headphones hung around his neck while he gripped the leash for the puppy in his hand.

"Hi," I smiled nervously. "Come on Caleb. Sorry for uh, bothering you on your, uh, run," I stammered. I grabbed for my brother's hand, pulling him away from Calum's dog.

"It's no problem. Aussie and I just finished," he smiled and ruffled the dogs head. "He really likes you," he replied, turning to Caleb.

"Really?" Caleb's green eyes turn wide with disbelief.

"Definitely. He's usually really shy around new people, but not you," Calum flashed him a smile.

Caleb let go of my hand and kneeled back down in front of the puppy, who started licking his face. "He's so silly!" he laughed.

I giggled at the sight. "I'm sorry again for bothering you."

"Why do you keep apologizing, Madison?"

I wondered why he always said my name when he was talking to me, but I liked it. "I don't know. I always feel like a bother?" I looked at my feet kicking at a rock on the pavement as I talked.

"I don't think you're a bother. I've thought you were special since the first time I laid eyes on you," his lips were next to my ear now as he stood somewhat behind me, his hot breath tickling my skin.

"Why me?"

"Why not you?" he asked.

ahhh sort of a cliffhanger! idk um, i added a picture of calum's dog on the side (: please vote/comment i'd really appreciate it xx zoe