05

Calum drove a black Honda CR-V, much nicer than Ashton's beat up car. The inside was much nicer as well. While Ash had trash littered all over the floor, Calum's still looked brand new and he even had a tree shaped air freshner hanging from the rearview mirror.

"Well, thanks for the ride Calum," I said as I went to open up the door. Something inside of me was telling me to ask him if he wanted to hang out sometime because I really wanted to get to know him better, but I didn't want to keep him. He had to get to work.

"Yeah, no problem." I slammed the door shut, and smiled back at him through the open window at his response. "Hey, Madison?"

"Yeah?" I asked expectantly.

One of his hands was dangling over the stearing wheel while his other arm leaned on the arm rest. I couldn't believe how he looked so attractive doing only this that I got weak in the knees. He was silent for a moment, looking like he was thinking about what to say. His tongue ran across his lips before he said, "I'll see you around at the hospital."

"Oh, yeah. See you around," I nodded. I turned around quickly, disappointed. I heard the soft roar of Calum's expensive car starting up again as I opened my front door.

"Mads, where did you go?" my dad interrogated me right as I walked through the door.

"I'm not in the mood, dad." I felt tears start to prick my eyes as I rushed down the stairs, hating the fact that this boy that I barely knew was affectng me this much. I shouldn't have expected him to ask me out or to even just spend time with him. But of course I got my hopes up for once in my life. I had no idea why I was beginning to think that a guy like Calum could like me. He was probably a star athlete or at the top of his class as well as pursuing a career as a nurse.

There was a knock at my door and I figured it was my dad. I didn't respond and a few moments later, I heard the door creak open.

"Mads?"

I propped myself up on my elbows, looking up to find Ashton. "What are you doing here? I thought you'd be with Ellie," I said her name with disgust.

He sighed, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans. "I came to apologize. I didn't mean to ditch you and I totally would've given you a ride home."

I shook my head. "It's fine. Calum gave me a ride," I replied, sitting up and making room on my bed for him to sit.

"He did?"

"Yeah. He had time before his shift I guess," I shrugged like it was no big deal even though my heart still hadn't returned to normal.

"Hmm. Well, I'm sorry again Mads."

I shrugged again. "I know you'd rather be with someone like her anyways," the words came out before I could stop them. I wasn't sure why I said it because I didn't think of Ashton that way, but I knew it was true.

"Madison, you can't honestly think that about yourself," the look on Ashton's face was one of pity. He reached to put his hand on my leg, but I flinched away. 

I swallowed the huge lump that had formed in my throat. "I'm sorry, but I think you should go." I was this close to tears and I really didn't want to cry in front of him. I also didn't want the pity he was giving me. I didn't want pity from anyone for that matter. If anyone was going to pity me, it would be myself. 

"You're a great girl. You can't let the cancer define you."

"I've heard it all before, Ash. Honestly, but I've accepted that I'm not going anywhere in life." I covered my face with my hands and wished that he would leave already.

"I'm just trying to help you, but I can tell you're in one of your moods. I'll see you later, Mads," he said after a long few minutes of silence.

I huffed out a breath and curled myself into a ball on my bed, wondering how my life would be different if I never got leukemia. Maybe then Calum would like me.

hey, sorry if this chapter is sorta depressing. but i hope you like it anyway. What do you think of Ashton and Ellie? and do you think that Madison should've asked Calum out? (idk why i ask questions sometimes because no one answers them) please vote/comment xx zoe