08

"Where do you think you're going?" my mom demanded, her hands on her hips. She was dressed in a pant suit and stood tall above me in her high heels. I despised her pant suits. I thought they looked ugly and she could find something way more attractive to wear.

"Out with a friend," my voice came out small as I slipped my feet into my worn out converse.

"Ashton?" her hands were still on her hips, but her voice was a little softer. I shook my head and stood up from the ground. "Those boys from the hospital?"

"Nope. I'll be back later. And why are you doing business on a Sunday?"

"I'm meeting a client," her tone condescending.

I shrugged, thinking it was a bit ridiculous and looked out the window waiting for Calum to show up.

"Madison, just tell me where you're going."

I let out a long breath and turned away from the window to face her. She looked worn out and I almost felt bad for her. "His name is Calum. I have no idea where we're going. Is that good enough for you?"

"Why are you giving me that tone? I have a right to know what you're doing. I'm your mother, for god's sake."

I rolled my eyes, turning back to the window to see Calum's Honda pull up. I lifted my hand in a little wave and left, letting the door slam as it closed.

"How are you today, Madison?"

I nervously licked my chapped lips. "Good. No dizzy spells in awhile," I laughed.

"That's good since I haven't been there to catch you."

I didn't know what to say, so I just stayed quiet. I felt my palms get sweaty and I rubbed them against the thighs of my skinny jeans. I started to get self conscious about my appearance hoping that this was ok with where we were going. Calum said he was planning everything and that made it seem more date-ish, but I was trying not to get my hopes up again. I looked down at my sleeping with sirens t-shirt, wondering if he was going to judge me for it.

"Madison?"

"Hmm?" I lifted my head from overanalyzing my outfit to look at him. He was driving one handed with his other arm resting on the arm rest.

"We're here," he pulled the car to a stop at the aquarium and my face twisted into confusion.

"Isn't this for little kids?"

"Are you telling me that don't want to go to the aquarium and look at the fish, Madison Wright?" he raised his eyebrows at me, now standing outside my door and talking to me through my open window.

I sighed. "I haven't been here in ages," I nodded, smiling and he opened my door.

"That's what I thought," he sounded proud of himself. As we got up to the counter, he paid for me even after my protests for him not to.

We walked into the first building and I remembered coming here when I was really little, before I had leukemia. My mom hadn't turned into a workaholic and my dad was still trying to catch a break with his music. I think we were all happy. My hair was probably in pigtails (that's how it is in all the old photos) and I remember running up to the glass and staring wide at the fish. It's such a simple thing that can make you so happy.

"What are you thinking, Madison?" Calum spoke loudly over the little kids running all around us.

"How come you always ask me that? Do I ever get to know what you're thinking?"

He shrugged. "You're a mystery to me."

I made a humph sound and crossed my arms over my chest. "That doesn't answer my question and I really don't think I'm that hard to figure out."

Calum sat down on a bench in front of the expansive glass and looked up at the fish swimming above him. I sat down next to him, folding my hands in my lap. I was so confused as to why he thought I was a mystery. If anything he was the mystery. I decided to just enjoy the aquarium and accept the fact that he wasn't going to answer my question. I gazed around at the many types of fish in the glass tank surrounding us in wonder like a I was a child again.

"You really want to know what I'm thinking?" Calum had slid closer to me on the bench and his lips were practically pressed up to my ear. I shivered at his closeness. I nodded slightly and closed my eyes. "I'm thinking that I want to know what it's like to kiss your lips. But then I'm thinking that I don't want to get myself involved with you because I'm just going to get hurt."

My breath caught as his words registered in my mind. He didn't want to be with me because of my cancer. Once the shock wore off I stood up, walking away from him quickly and hugging my arms to my chest.

"Madison! Let me explain!" he called after me, but I just kept walking. I felt tears start to come and I wondered when I turned into a crier. I knew I shouldn't have gotten my hopes up about Calum liking me or us becoming anything because I'm nothing to anyone but Caleb and my dad. I didn't need an explanation. I stopped walking once I reached his car and leaned against it. He caught up to me a few moments later.

"Let me-" he started.

"Just drive me home, Calum. I don't need this," I shook my head. I looked him right in the eyes and they were the darkest shade of brown I've seen.

He bit his lip and nodded. "Ok, Madison." I flinched at my name and climbed into his car once he unlocked it. The whole car ride was silent except for him mumbling a "goodbye," as I got out of the car. I didn't say anything back. I was too hurt by his words right now.

I went inside and straight to my room. Even though it was still early afternoon, I curled up in my covers and went to bed. Tomorrow my tutoring started back up with Ashton and I had chemo later in the week which meant I would probably see Calum. I hated what he said to me. What hurt me the most was that he gave me the impression that he actually felt something toward me and if I didn't have cancer things would be different. But I still couldn't stop thinking about him.

Heyy guys (: so I got this part written so I thought I would update. what do you think of calum not wanting to get involved with madison?