18

"Where are you going all dressed up, Madison?" my dad asked, using my full name which was unlike him. 

Tonight was the fundraiser for Calum's dad's company and I was waiting my the front door waiting for him to pick me up. I looked down at my simple purple dress and black heels. My feet were already starting to hurt and I hoped that I could last the night in them. I contemplated lying to my dad about where I was going, but decided against it. "It's a fundraiser thing with Calum."

"Calum? Have I heard of this boy before?"

I shook my head. "I'm not sure. Mom has," I told him. "He's my, uh..." I trailed off, not sure if I should tell him I have a boyfriend.

"Boyfriend?" he raised his eyebrows. I nodded, feeling a blush come to my cheeks. "Do I get to meet this boy sometime then? Maybe he should come over for dinner?"

"Do you think that's a good idea?"

"Just think about it ok? I'll make sure your mom is on her best behavior if he does. I'd love to meet this boy. You have seemed happier lately, Maddie. I was thinking maybe it was because of Christian though."

I couldn't help but laugh. "You sure do like Christian, dad."

He shrugged. "I can't help it. I've known the boy for years."

I shook my head as lights flashed through the window. "Well, he's here. I'll see you later." I gave him a quick hug before rushing out the door.

"You look lovely!" I heard him say right before the door slammed shut behind me. My lips curled into a smile as I reached the door of Calum's car. It was as shiny and black as ever.

"I was going to come out and get you. Open your door and everything," he complained as I climbed in. 

"Sorry," I told him, my smile still on my face. He was cute when he was pouting. 

"What are you so smiley about, Madison?" He laced his fingers with mine. 

"Nothing. I'm just happy to be here with you. I'm really nervous about this party though and to meet your parents," I confessed. "What if they don't like me?"

"They're going to love you, just as much as I do." My breath caught as his words, not sure if he meant them that way, but I didn't have much time to think about it because he kept talking. "That dress we picked out looks amazing on you," he complimented me, moving his hand to my thigh. We had gone shopping one day at the mall after his shift. I tried on probably fifty dresses (at least it felt like that). I was sure that he was going to get bored of shopping, but he seemed to enjoy it. Calum really liked this one and he offered to pay for it, which I reluctantly let him. I didn't let him buy the shoes though because I already felt bad enough about the dress. 

"Yeah, I really like it. You picked a good one. And you don't look half bad yourself," I told him, taking a moment to look him over. He was dressed in a dark gray button up with a thin black tie and slim black dress pants. 

"I try," he shrugged, causing me to laugh. He pulled into the country club parking lot and into a front row spot. "We have reserved spots," he explained. I nodded, acting like I understood how these things worked. "Don't get out yet. I wanna get your door," he told me, giving my leg a squeeze before getting out. He rushed to the other side quickly and held out his hand. "M'lady," he bowed his head and held out his hand. 

"What am I, a princess?" I giggled. 

"To me," he whispered as I grabbed onto his hand, carefully sliding out of the somewhat high seat of the Honda. I melted at his response, not sure if I was supposed to hear it. I held onto his elbow as we walked into the ginormous white building with large arches. I gazed all around in wonder, wondering how much it cost to even be a member here. Nothing I could ever afford, that was for sure.