27

please listen to the song on the side. it goes with calum's part. 

calum's pov

"Calum, it's time to go. Visiting hours ended hours ago," a nurse's voice woke me up. She was gently shaking me awake, cafeful not to disturb Madison in the small hospital bed beside me.

I had come back in here after my shift ended at 8 p.m. and found her half sleeping. She groggily asked me to lay with her. I told her no at first, but finally I obliged because she could always get her way with me. It was now almost 2 a.m. when the nurse woke me up. I carefully untangled myself from my girlfriend, not wanting to disturb her or mess up any of the cords attatched to her. I gently placed a kiss to her forehead and whispered, "I'll see you tomorrow." She moved a little in her sleep, but didn't open up her eyes. It pained me greatly to see her like this: in a hospital room with tubes and IVs hooked to her, machines beeping every so often, a moniter telling her heart rate, her skin looking pale, and her body looking so weak. I wished I could help her, but I knew there was nothing I could do except be there. I took one last look at her sleeping in the bed before slipping out of the door and down the hallway, still in my scrubs from my shift. 

I checked my phone finding missed calls from my parents and even one from Ashton. They were probably just wondering where I was since I didn't come home after work and made him call since I didn't answer him. I shrugged it off and slid my phone back into my pocket. Once in my car, I blasted some Paramore because Madison loved them and it made me feel like she was there. Whenever I let her pick the music, she would put them on and sing at the top of her lungs. I imagined her sitting in the passenger seat and belting out the lyrics. Now, I wondered if she would ever do that again. 

By the time I got home, tears had began to stream down my cheeks. I wiped them away as I entered my house quietly, not wanting to wake anyone. "Calum, hunny? Is that you?"

I sighed, finding my mom sitting at the kitchen counter with a cup of tea in her hand. I walked up and sat next to her. "What are you doing up? It's like 2:30."

"I was worried about you," she said, placing a hand on my knee. "You weren't answering anyone's calls. I was about to call the police. You're barely home and I haven't talked to you in forever."

I almost rolled my eyes at her, but I stopped myself. I knew she was just being a concerned parent and she was right that I hadn't had a real conversation with her in a long time. "I'm sorry," I told her sincerely and wrapped my arms around her. "Madison is in the hospital." 

"Oh, Cal. I'm so sorry. What's happened?"

"The cancer is getting worse they think. I don't really know. I only found out because I was working today."

"All we can do is be there for her and pray that she gets better. I can tell you care deeply for her, son. She's very lucky to have your support during this time."

"I don't know if I can handle it mom," I sobbed into her shoulder.

"Calum. You're stronger than you know. That girl needs you to show her your strength. Just hold her when she needs it. Tell her you love her and that she's the most beautiful girl in the world. No matter what happens you need to stay by her side. Can you do that?" My mom pushed me away and held me by my shoulders so she could look into my eyes. 

I nodded. "I can do that. I love her so much, mom," I told her through my sobs. 

"I know you do, baby," she told me, bringing me back to her chest. 

madison's pov

I woke up to an empty room. Calum wasn't there. My family wasn't there. The nurses and doctors weren't there. Just myself. I wondered when Calum had left because I didn't remember ever waking up. My body felt weaker today than it had last night and I wasn't sure how that was possible since all I had done was lay in this bed all day and night. I didn't even have to get up to pee since they had me hooked up to a catheter.