11

I woke up and stretched my arms high above my head, thoughts of Calum kissing me flooding back into my mind. I still couldn't believe that he had showed up to my house last night, but I was happy that he had. I picked up my phone off my bedside table, finding two unread text messages: one from Calum and one from Ashton. 

Thanks for last night, Madison. I'm happy you came outside ;)

I couldn't help but smile at Calum's text and how I could hear his voice in my ears. I scrolled through my phone to Ashton's message.

Hey, Ellie and I are going out to lunch after our session and she was wondering if you wanted to come. Let me know.

I sighed, locking my phone. Ellie wanted me to come to lunch? I wasn't sure if I wanted to be a third wheel, but I did want to get out of the house and Calum had school all day so being with him wasn't an option. 

Yeah, sure. Lunch sounds good, I sent back and noticed the time. He was going to be over in less than an hour for tutoring, which meant I needed to hurry up and get ready. I struggled to get out from under my sheets and went into my bathroom deciding to take a quick shower. With a towel wrapped around my body, I walked over to my closet and stared at the clothes hanging limply off the hangers. Nothing looked good to wear and I wasn't exactly sure why I was caring about what to wear. I guess I wanted to impress Ellie because she seemed a little intimidating the last time. I decided on a pair of skinny jeans and a red flannel over a plain white t-shirt. I shrugged at myself in the mirror before grabbing my school stuff and rushing upstairs just as Ashton pulled into the driveway.

"Hey, Ash," I said opening the door, slightly out of breath.

He laughed his slightly girly laugh. "You good today, Mads?" he asked, pushing past me and walking to the kitchen table.

I nodded. "Yeah. Hopefully you don't push me too hard today," I joked.

"I'll try not to. Why don't we start with history today for a change?"

"But we always start with math," I complained, already having my math notebook open. 

"Change is good sometimes," he reached over and closed my notebook. "Did you do the reading I assigned for you?" I looked away, avoiding his eyes. "Madison, you've got to start doing the readings. You're doing great in math and science, but you're slacking in history and English. Did I not give you enough time to do it?"

"That's not it..." I trailed off. I honestly just wasn't interested. I hated those subjects. Math and science I understood completely fine. There were equations and a simple explanation. 

Ashton leaned his head on one of his hands, looking at me intently. "Then what is it?"

"What am I ever going to need know any of this for anyway? What's the point of even having homeschool if I'm just going to die?"

Ashton sighed and was quiet for a long time. "Madison, everyone dies at some point. That's just the way it is. Yes, you probably are going to die sooner rather than later, but schooling is important even if you think this knowledge is useless." He ran a hand through his curls, seeming somewhat frustrated. "Sorry. I'm not trying to make this into a life lesson. That's not what I'm here to do. I just care about you and I want you to know that."

I bit my lip, placing my hand on his arm. "I'm sorry, Ashton. I know it's important. I guess those subjects are just harder for me."

He nodded. "How about we compromise then? Finish the readings by next time and we'll just do math today. How does that sound?" 

"Good," I smiled at him and reopened my notebook to a blank page. 

Three hours later, Aston said, "That's it for today, Mads." I was surprised by how fast the lesson went by. "Still up to meeting Ellie for lunch?" I started to open my mouth to ask if she really wanted me there when he interrupted me, "She insisted that I ask you." 

"Yeah," I nodded. "I'm starving." 

"Great," he beamed, grinning from ear to ear.  

On the car ride to the mall, I tried to stop my fingers from tapping anxiously on my thighs but I couldn't. The only thing I could think about was how awkward this lunch was going to be. Ashton drove up in the parking lot in his black beat up car, parking next what I assumed to be Ellie's car because she was leaning against it. Ashton turned off the ignition and started to get out, but I didn't move from my seat. 

"Coming Maddie?"

I looked over at Ellie leaning against her car with her long red hair and her nose ring, in her skater skirt and sweater. I silently wished I was that pretty, but knew I would never be with losing my hair from chemo, my ugly shade of brown hair and my flat chest. "Yeah," I sighed and climbed out of the car.

"Hey, Madison," Ellie greeted me with a smile.

I smiled back to be polite, but didn't offer anything else in response. Ashton walked up and kissed her hello. I groaned in disgust which caused them both to laugh. We walked into the restaurant, Ashton and Ellie hand in hand, and I already felt like a third wheel. Why did I agree to this lunch, again? I walked straight for Taco Bell in the food court, where Ash and I always go, but they walked toward Panda Express. I frowned. 

"Where are you going?" I questioned.

"Panda Express," he said. "You can still get Taco Bell if you want, Mads."

I rolled my eyes, upset that she was changing things about him. Like since when did he eat at Panda Express? I decided to go with them and try it since I didn't have anything against the place. The line was super long and it took forever to get our food. We found a table and I sat across from them, taking my first bite of food. I hated to admit that I really liked it. 

"It's good, isn't it Madison?" Ellie asked.

"It's Maddie," I corrected her, "and yeah. It's delicious." I didn't want anyone else but Calum to call me Madison anymore. It felt like it was his thing and I didn't want Ellie ruining it. 

"Sorry," she mumbled. "So, what do you like to do?" 

I had to give her credit for trying to make conversation. I shrugged. "I mainly just listen to music in my room when I'm not in chemo," I answered bluntly. 

"Mads," Ashton warned.

"What?" I narrowed my eyes at him. "It's not like you didn't tell her about me and my cancer right? It's not some secret." Ellie stayed quiet, chewing her sweet and sour chicken. I sighed. "I'm sorry. I guess it's just that you've got everything I wish I could have," I whispered.

"Me?" she sounded shocked. I nodded. "I'm not that special, Maddie," she replied.

"Are you kidding me? You're gorgeous and you swept Ashton here off his feet, so you've got to be pretty special." 

She blushed, looking to Ashton. "Well, thanks. That means a lot, but you're special too. Ash here talks about you all the time. Part of the reason I asked you to lunch was to make sure there wasn't anything going on between the two of you."

I burst out laughing. "Me and Ashton?! Seriously? He's more of my big brother and I kind of like someone else..." I trailed off, feeling my cheeks heat. 

She leaned over the table on her elbows, clearly wanting to know more. "Who?" 

"Ugh, I didn't agree to this lunch to have boy talk," Ashton groaned.

"Shut up!" we said in unison, causing us to go into a fit of giggles. 

"Tell me who it is!" Ellie demanded.

"It's Calum," I finally answered, glancing sideways at Ashton and he gave me a look showing that he already knew.

"Like Ashton's friend, Calum?" she gasped. I nodded. "This is so great! We can double date!" she exclaimed. 

I nodded and gave her a smile, but I wasn't sure if this was what I really wanted to happen with this lunch. 

Hi(: sorry calum isn't in this part but i wanted to write ashton and ellie in more. i hope you're enjoying the story so far, please vote and comment your thoughts because i love to read comments (: xx zoe