09

calum's pov

Madison made me feel something I had never felt before, but there was something holding me back from getting myself more deeply involved with her. Ever since that day I saw her at the hospital, she took my breath away. I wanted to know everything about her and spend all my time with her. I tried to just spend time with her as friends and not lead her on, but I knew I was doing a rubbish job at it. I could see how she was acting around me and I wanted to do something about my feelings, but I just couldn't. As I drove home after dropping her off, I kept trying to convince myself that it wasn't that she was sick. My Honda screeched to a halt in my driveway and I turned off the car. I slammed the door, knowing I ruined any type of relationship with her.

"Dude, why are you in such a crap mood?" Ashton asked as I burst through the door.

"I don't want to talk about it," I grumbled, waving him off. He was sitting on a bar stool in the kitchen eating a sandwich.

"Weren't you going to see Mads today? Did it not go well?" his mouth full of peanut butter and bread.

I tossed my keys onto the counter and took a seat beside him because I knew he wasn't going to let this go. I put my head in my arms on the counter and groaned. "I messed everything up!"

"I'm sure it's not as bad as you think," he clapped a hand on my back.

I lifted my head and glared at him. "You don't know what I just said to her."

"Then tell me," he gave me a look that said go on.

"You know how I feel about her, but I was just going to be friends with her?" He nodded along, anxiously. "Well, I guess I ask her what she's thinking a lot and so she asked if she ever gets to know what I'm thinking. I told her that I wanted to know what it was like to kiss her but I didn't want to get involved with her."

"You know what she's going to think, Calum!"

"I know!" I put my head back down on the counter.

"Is that why you don't want to start something though?"

I shrugged. "I guess it just scares me. I like her a lot, but I think if I let myself go I'll lose her right away."

"You can't let what ifs run your life," he said as he picked up his plate and rinsed it off in the sink. "Just think about that." He walked away and went upstairs. I guess he was right and I didn't know how sick Madison really was. She honestly didn't seem very sick, but she had leukemia.

I guess it was time to take a risk, if she would give me a second chance that is.

madison's pov

Tutoring with Ashton went by really slow yesterday. I was in a bad mood the whole time and I couldn't really focus on anything. He commented on my attitude, saying I needed to actually try and I just told him I was tired. He didn't offer to take us to Taco Bell like he normally did. He probably had plans with Ellie or something. Not like I really cared. I just went and took a nap when we were done.

My mom was the one that was taking me to chemo today and she could tell I was just oozing with joy as I came upstairs.

"Ready for today, Madison?" her voice laced with fake concern.

"Of course, mommy," I smiled, mocking her concern. I grabbed my bag and went outside to go wait in the car.

"You know, Madison, I really think you need to stop with the attitude and start being nicer to me. I try really hard to give you everything you want and I pay good money for your hospital bills."

"You can stop reminding me how much you pay for my hospital bills, ok? I know they're freaking expensive and it's not like I asked for them," I snapped.

"All I'm asking is for you to try to be a little nicer," she said as she turned the volume dial on the radio up.

I shook my head. I wished my dad didn't have to be in the shop this morning so he could bring me to chemo. At least I got to see Michael and Luke today. Hopefully they could bring my mood up a little bit and take my mind off of my stupid mother and Calum.

I was out of the car before my mom turned it off and checked myself in. I took a seat in the uncomfortable chairs and waited for my name to be called. My leg bounced up and down in anxiety as I waited, mostly because of the fact I might see Calum.

"Madison Wright?" a nurse called and I stood up and followed her to the chemo room.

"Mads!" Michael and Luke chorused as I entered. I sat down in my usual chair and smiled at them.

"Good to see you guys too," I laughed. "I never found out who won in FIFA."

"I did!" Michael answered.

"No you didn't. I definitely won. Don't listen to him. But in more important gossip, we need to discuss you and the nurse in training," Luke rose his eyebrows up and down.

I could feel my cheeks turning a light shade at the mention of Calum. "Absolutely nothing."

"I smell a liar," Michael interjected.

"I think that's just disinfectant."

He rolled his eyes at me. "Well I smell that too, but something totally happened with you and nurse boy!"

"No it didn't and you know why? Because I'm a cancer freak." The room turned completely silent at my words and their eyes grew wide.

"Maddie," Luke said. "Did he really say that?"

"He didn't have to," I shook my head and opened my bag to pull out a book. I didn't feel like having this conversation even with people that would understand.

"He's a jerk then. You could find someone way better than him," Michael said, placing a hand on my arm.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"And if you need us to, we'll kick his ass!" I laughed slightly at Michael's words, knowing that Calum could take them. "There's that smile I've been missing."

"What would I do without you guys?"

"Be a lonely cancer patient?" Luke suggested.

I laughed. "Thanks for that."

"No problem, Mads. But really we are here for you."

"I know," I sighed.

Just then Calum walked into the room and it turned completely silent again. "Hey, everyone. Just here to disconnect your IVs," he announced, a slight flush on his cheeks. He did Michael's and then Luke's.

"You want us to wait, Mads?" Luke asked, while Calum moved onto me.

I shook my head. "No, that's ok. Thanks though."

He nodded and they said "bye Maddie," in unison.

"It's good to see you," Calum said, his touch soft against my skin. I tried to sit still and not flinch away as he removed the IV. I let out a breath I hadn't realized I'd been holding and nodded. "Do you mind if I tell you something, Madison?"

"I guess I can't stop you," I whispered.

He sighed, seeming nervous. "I had this all figured out in my head but the words seem to have all escaped me." He finished with the IV and I gathered my bag, standing up. "I just wanted to apologize for the other day. I screwed everything up and I realized something once I got home."

I thought he was going to continue but he just stood before me, looking into my eyes. "What was it?" My breath caught as his eyes flicked down to my lips. He seemed to move in slow motion toward me, placing his hand behind head and pulling me to him as he connected our lips.

"I'm going to take the risk."

Heyyy (: so I was gonna wait to update this but I really liked how it turned out and I couldn't wait. please vote/comment xx zoe

What do you think of Calum finally making a move? and how do you think madison will react?