21

calum's pov

I didn't know what to do except drive Madison to Michael's. She was in shock and grieving and I was in no position to say no. I would be lying if I said I wanted her to stay with me, but really I had no idea what she was going through. I could hold her in my arms and tell her everything was fine, but in my heart I knew that nothing was fine. She had lost one of her friends who just happened to have cancer, which she also had. He died so suddenly I learned and it made me realize that this could happen to her. It broke my heart when she told me she wanted us to break up. I knew she figured that would fix something, but really that would only make things worse. I was falling in love with her; this girl with a disease that was deteriorating her, but also making her strong. This girl with short brown hair and wore beanies to cover it up. This girl that wore band t-shirts and skinny jeans that were too big because she hadn't gotten around to buying new ones that actually fit. This girl that felt like no one wanted her.

I drove away from Michael's house with a mix of despair and frustration. I banged my fists against the steering wheel at a stop light, letting out my anger. I wanted to be with her, be the one that was consoling her. I hated the fact that I wasn't there and she didn't want me to be. I knew that we hadn't been together for very long, but for some reason I felt like I've known her my whole life.

Pulling into my driveway, I noticed Ellie's car parked on the curb. I groaned not wanting to deal with a happy couple right now. I hurried past them cuddled on the couch watching Captain America, hoping they wouldn't notice me.

"Hey, Cal! Wanna come watch the movie with us? It just started," Ash offered.

No such luck, I thought as I reached the stairs. "Nah. I'm real tired. I think I'm gonna get ready for bed. School tomorrow and everything."

"Alright. Is everything ok?"

"Yep," I called, rushing up the rest of the stairs and practically slamming my door. I grabbed my beats and fell onto my bed. I turned up my music as loud as I could tolerate and a feeling of numbness overcame my body. I sprawled out my hands and legs so I nearly took up my whole queen sized bed. I stared at the blankness of my ceiling and soon it became blurry, an unclear representation of what my life had become. Before Madison entered my life, I knew exactly what I wanted to do: work hard, get good grades, get into med school. But now? Every fiber of my being wanted to be with her at every possible moment and the fact that I could lose her at any possible moment freaked me out. That made me want to spend even more time with her, but I knew she was already getting scared away and now that Luke passed away, everything was changing.

A dark shadow hovered over me and I blinked my eyes, clearing my vision. I yanked off my headphones. "What do you want?" I grumbled.

"Did something happen with Mads?" His tone was laced with concern, but for some reason I didn't want him to care. To me, we weren't really friends anymore. We hadn't been in awhile. And I hated the way he called her Mads. I'm not really sure why, but it made it seem like he had a claim over her or something. It was stupid and I knew he didn't like her, but it still bothered me.

"Luke died," I whispered.

"Luke?" he questioned, sitting on a small open section of the bed.

"A guy she was in chemo with," I explained, not going into any more detail.

"Oh no. Is she ok?"

I shrugged. Honestly, I wanted Ashton to get out of my room and let me drown out my feelings with the loud music. I had no idea if Madison was ok. She was at some guy's house that I barely knew and she was grieving the death of one of her friends.

"Man, that really sucks. Where is she?"

"Michael's."

"Michael?" he questioned again.