More Than A Thousand Words - Sean

The warm water soothed my aching and abused muscles and I sighed.

I reached for my soap and groaned as the movement pulled on muscles whose existence I was blissfully unaware of before today.

“Everything okay over there?” Keanna called from the shower stall next to mine.

“Yes, I'm just regretting all of my life choices that have brought me to this moment.” I grumbled, washing away the sweat from P. E.

“This wouldn't be a problem if you agreed to exercise with me. It might actually do you some good.”

“Why do you hate me?” I whined.

She snickered and I could almost see her shaking her head.

I tried to find the balance between moving quicker and not overexerting my tired muscles, but I wasn't very successful.

Keanna and I were the last ones in the girl's locker room. As per usual, after class was done, we'd dragged our sorry selves into the locker room to shower.

We'd also waited until everyone was done so that we could shower. Also, per usual.

Well, for me at least. Keanna usually showered with everyone else while I waited and then we'd meet up with Danny and walk to class together.

But since everything that had happened – such as Price and Parker using me as their personal punching bag, among other things – Keanna had decided it wasn't safe for me to wait for her with a locker room full of menaces and danger. Her words, not mine.

So now, she waited until everyone was done showering and had left for us to shower. The biggest problem with that was that it only gave us about five minutes to shower, change and get back to class.

Hence, me trying to speed my movements while simultaneously cursing the existence of muscles I was sure doctors still hadn't discovered.

I was washing my hair when the lights went out. That of course led to me getting shampoo in my eye by trying to quickly rinse it off. Which led to me sputtering.

“Are you okay?” Keanna called.

“Yeah. Shampoo. Eye.” I said as I furiously tried to rid my face – and my hair – of the shampoo. “What happened?”

“I think the circuit breaker crashed.” She said and turned off her shower. “I'll go check it out.”

“Or someone turned off the lights on purpose, and you're about to walk into a trap!” I exclaimed, still trying to get shampoo out of my hair.

Seriously, was this stuff self-replicating?

She snorted and I heard the sound of her stall opening. “You watch too many horror movies.”

“Yes, I do! And that's what's gonna save us when our alien overlords come down to destroy us!” I said, my voice getting higher the more nervous I got.

It was dark and our voices echoing in the empty locker room made me very anxious and antsy.

“Alien overlords? Have you been creepily watching your mother's sessions again?” She asked.

“Hey! I never creepily watched any of her sessions. I might have accidentally walked into one or two of her long distance patients rambling about the apocalypse and some such, but that was hardly my fault.” I said, finally being able to turn off the water after getting rid of all of the shampoo.

“And which of the many races inhabiting the cosmos do our alien overlords belong to? The greys or the reptilians?” Keanna asked, her voice getting further and further away from me.