“Not really,” he replied a little bit too quickly. “I was young and stupid. Besides, I was drunk.”

“That doesn’t look like a drunken tattoo.” I stated honestly.

“Then what does look like, Jules?” His tone became slightly cold. I was taken aback by his sudden change of mood. He gripped the steering wheel with ferocity. Alright, maybe I shouldn’t have asked anything.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” I trailed off unsure of what to say.

Evan let out a long sigh. “It’s cool,” he stated relaxing his shoulders. I didn’t need to be smart to know there was a big reason behind that tattoo. Evan was definitely lying when he said it was just a drunken thing. Silence reigned in the car, making the already crushing tension between us even thicker. I rubbed my sweaty palms on my jeans awkwardly and stared through the window.

“So,” Evan broke the silence and I mentally thanked him for it, “tell me more about your cheesy story.”

I scowled at him.

“Really? I thought you didn’t read it,” I folded my arms across my chest.

“It entertains me,” he admitted, rolling his full lower lip into his mouth. I gawked at him, I wanted to taste those red lips so badly.

 “Jules?” his voice snapped me out of my inappropriate thoughts.

“Huh?” I closed my mouth and looked away.

“I asked you a question.”

“You did?” I could feel the blood pumping up to my cheeks again. “Sorry, what was it?” I kept my eyes glued to the road.

“Does she ever tell him the way she feels?”

I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. “Who?”

“Rose.”

“Oh, you’re talking about my story,” I laughed nervously feeling like an idiot. Evan stopped at a red light and turned half of his body towards me. His dark eyes met my blue ones and I backed away a little in my seat.

“So, does she tell him or not?” He sounded pretty curious about it. I swallowed. “It’s pretty obvious she’s dying to say something.” My heart was hammering inside my chest, my throat felt dry. Why did I feel like he wasn’t talking about my story but me?

“I can’t tell you that. You must read to find out.”

Wow, that was a clever answer. I high-fived myself. Mentally, of course.

“Come on, we’re friends, aren’t we?”

Unfortunately, we are.