Chapter 5: The Capitol

I wake up to the sound of Cato in the shower. I should get out, what if he forgets I am here and changes here in front of me? I go to my room and take a shower. I wash my hair and get out of the shower. I put on a shirt with a hoodie and some sweatpants. I dont care if I look good for the capitol. They want me dead anyway. I dry my hair and put my hair up in a ponytail. I get out to eat breakfast. There is a lot of food and I stuff myself. Cato comes out of his room wearing a blue t shirt and jeans. He looks good and simple. We eat together. It is 5 am. No one is awake. We are both used to waking up early to hunt, because the animals are slower and sleepy. We talk for a while and then we watch tv. The tv shows here are stupid too. everything is. At 7 am we arrive to the capitol. A bunch of people are waiting for us. Cato takes my hand and we walk out together saying hi to the people that I hate, but i pretend I like them. it is not that hard, they are stupid. We walk into a hotel. Me and Cato are separated and taken to our crew. I sit on a table and the crew wax my legs, my arms, my eyebrows, everything. Then they wash me and apply exfoliating cream on me. At first it stings, but then it soothes. They use some kind of medicine to make my eyes a darker shade of the color. My eyes now look all black. I guess they are going for the creepy look. Then the crew leaves and my stylist comes in. He is a 25 year old man. He has white skin and tattoos above his eyebrows. Just that. Everything else is normal. "Hello, I am Ian, what is your name sweetie?", he says "Clove Greenleaf", I say. "Well, today is the tribute parade and we are going to dress you up as Roman Gladiators. Cool huh?", he says happily. "Yes", I say even though I have no clue what a Roman Gladiator is. Turns out it is kind of like a fighter or warrior. I look stunning. They put golden eyeliner on my and some golden jewelry. They put my head in a bun and put it together with a fake knife. It looks gorgeous. I walk out, we can stay in our rooms in our floors for 2 hours. Cato comes and sees me. "Wow, you look beautiful", he says. "So do you"; I say. He is in the same costumes but it only covers his upper chest and his private parts so we can see his abs. He is very muscular. I look into his eyes. They are dark as the night when its blue. "Your eyes" I say sadly "I know, they ruined them and yours are still gorgeous" "Yours are too" I lean in and kiss him. I love him. I really do. We walk to the chariots and get on. Everyone looks gorgeous. When our chariot goes into the street, everyone screams. They love us! But we hate them. Still I wave and throw kisses. Cato flexes. Then he leans in and kisses me! They go crazy! We will get sponsors!. Thanks Cato. But then I see a glow behind me. District 12 is on fire. They look gorgeous. I smile. Cato also smiles. They were number 1 for sure, but district 2 was number 2, so we still are in good shape. I go to my room and take a shower. I get rid of the make up, the dress, everything. Now I look like me. Cato comes and says, "Can I sleep with you?" "Sure", i say. we snuggle. Tomorrow is training day. we will see our allies and enemies. Cato's eyes are dark but still sweet. He kisses me. In that moment i realize he said he was going to protect me, which means he will die. I cry. But i dont make any sound. so he can sleep and have good dreams. I kiss him gently and we fall asleep. Oh cato....you know i love you till i die right? I kiss him again.. He smiles and says, "Clover, you still bring me good luck and I will protect you. You will go back I promise." He opens his blue eyes and smiles and touches my face and plays with my hair. I love it. he closes his eyes again and says, "I promise"