Chapter 20 ~ Love Is A Prize

Beth was changed and swung her coat on, flying down the stairs and met Alois at the door. The crisp winter air made breath visible and noses cold. Alois looked over at her and smiled, holding up a pair of white skates by their tied laces and handing them to Beth. Beth took the skates and put one hand in her coat pocket and the other hand held the skates, dangling at her side. Alois flicked his head a bit, gesturing Beth to follow him into town, and she did.

Walking down the drive was like a movie. The barren trees lined the path and the snow trickled from the sky to the ground, touching each pine needle it found on the trees. She felt something slither around her hand and through her fingers, a sudden warmth spreading through her fingertips and palms, bringing a tingling feeling at the sudden heat to the cold. Beth looked down at her hand to find it tangled with Alois's. A small smile rose to her lips, a puff of steam escaping her mouth. Her eyes met Alois's, a smirk on his face.

"If you get cold, let me know." Alois said worriedly, noticing the tip of her nose was a bit red. Beth nodded, then looked back ahead of her at the path.

"Alright."

At arrival, she glanced at the ice nervously. The surface was empty, not a single person in sight. I guess they were still early. That was fine with her. She'd always been so terrified of ice skating with other people because what if she fell and they couldn't stop? Where would them blades slide to?

Beth had tied on her ice skates on a bench, but Alois was already up, standing steadily on the ice. He smirked and held his hand out to her. She gladly took his hand and stood to her feet shakily. She started to tip to the side, but Alois caught her before she could hit the ground, pulling her back up. "I'm really nervous about this." She sighed, having a worried expression on her face. Alois grinned at her chuckling a bit.

"There's nothing to be scared of. This ice is thick enough to jump on. Just think of it as roller skating. Once you get your sea legs, it becomes easier." He explained. Beth took a deep breath, a large puff of steam vaporizing from her mouth and nostrils, nodding. "Alright..." She sighed. With that, she scooted out onto the ice, trying her hardest to balance. Alois still had a tight grip on her upper arm, steadying her.

"I'm not gonna drop you." He assured, backing up until they were in the middle of the rink. "Have you ever roller skated before?" Alois asked. Beth smiled, nodding.

"I had a pair of roller blades and I would go to the park on weekends." She smiled, then hanging her head a bit and getting an upset look. "I used to go with my parents when I was little... After they got divorced I went alone..."

Alois hated to see her like this. He hated when she talked down. He hated when she was upset. It killed him inside, so he decided to brighten the mood a bit. "Well, aside that, roller blading is just like ice skating. Whatever you did when you skated then, do now." He grinned. Beth nodded and closed her eyes, sighing. She let the memories of the birds, the leaves, and the autumn sky come rushing back to her. The way she would tie off her laces and take her first step, her first kick. She soared along that sidewalk. She felt free at that time. The memories were vivid. She could feel the wind dance through her hair and she could feel the warm sun tingling her chilly hands.

Beth smiled and opened her eyes, ready to kick off when she realized all those memories had taken place out of her memory. She really kicked off, and she really soared. This was thrilling to her. She wasn't falling, and she wasn't shaking... Just flying.

"Alright, Alois. You can let go now." She giggled a bit, then realizing a vacancy on her arms.

"I haven't been holding onto you... I haven't moved." He smiled from across the rink. Beth was approaching a bank and she went to turn, feet slipping up under her. With that, she crashed into the bank with a thud and a puff of white. Alois's eyes grew wide and slid up to her, squatting down to her level. "Beth are you alright!?" He asked. Beth groggily sat up and spit out ice chunks, tears forming in the corners of her eyes as the frozen flame stung her gums. Other than that, she was fine. Beth smiled a bit. "You scared me half to death." Alois sighed in relief, shutting his eyes a moment.

"Sorry. I didn't mean to. I tried to take too sharp of a turn." She giggled.

"I guess so." He teased, a small smile being brought to his face. Beth got up quickly before snow could seep through her pants and was shaky a bit, but eventually caught her balance. Alois was still smiling at her, only this time it had turned into a smirk.

"What?" She giggled. There was a short silence in the atmosphere after that.

"I love you." He said sweetly. Every time he said something like this she always got butterflies in her stomach.

"I love you, too..." She smiled, stopping a moment as if she was about to finish her sentence with something else, and she did.

"... Your highness."