Chapter 2 ~ Lost and Forgotten

The next day, she finally managed to get up. She limped into the bathroom and lifted her shirt, looking at herself in the mirror. Her rib cage was black, blue, red, and ragged. She didn't want to let anyone know, because next time, she won't wake up to see it. So instead, she just put on a loose shirt and blue jeans and went to school. It was agonizing to carry anything, or move anything, but she had to deal with it if she wanted to live. Finally, the vice principal walked up to her and set her hand on her shoulder, asking if she was alright. Beth flinched back, every movement painful. She made an eternal promise to her mother to never speak again. Jeanie gave her a small pout.

"This isn't like you." She mentioned with concern. Beth started to break some tears as the late bell rang. Beth pointed to the bell with a shaky hand. "It's fine, I can write you an excused late slip. Now what's wrong?" Jeanie asked with worry. Beth has always loved Jeanie. Some people think she's a complete bitch, but that's because they got on her bad side. She's always been so nice and worried about Beth. Jeanie looked down for a moment and Beth shakily holding her books. Jeanie clicked her tongue. "Did someone hit you?" She asked. More tears fell from the corner of Beth's eyes and Jeanie took that as a yes. She motioned for Beth to follow her into the office and Beth took a seat. "Would you like me to call your mother to come pick you up?"

That one line made Beth shake her head vigorously no, pleading through silent cries. Jeanie paused. "Did she do this to you?"

Beth didn't reply. Unfortunately, she's extremely transparent. Jeanie pursed her lips. "How bad is it?" She managed to choke out. Beth looked around, but saw no one. She hesitantly set her books down and started to lift up her shirt a bit. At the sight, Jeanie gasped, clapping her hands over her mouth. "We need to call the authorities." Jeanie announced. Beth feared the worst, that they would let her mother go and it would hit her three times as worse like voodoo. Beth vigorously shook her head once more, this time leaving her books and starting to back out of the room. "Beth, wait-" Beth cut Jeanie off by taking off, bursting through the school doors, tears running down her face. Beth ran along the school sidewalk, then taking a left past the parking lot and running through the bus garage. Her ribs began to bleed, but she could care less. She kept running. Faster and faster until she darted into the woods, running passed the water tower.

She ran until she couldn't anymore, her ribs eventually giving out and it made her collapse to the ground. She yelped, more like a screech as her ribs hit the cold ground. The pain had become unbearable. Her vision began to blur, but in the blurring darkness she saw a tall, dark figure looming over her. She didn't care who it was as long as they could make the pain stop. Finally, Beth shut her eyes, succumbing to the pain, the darkness, and the blood.

All the blood.