Chapter 18 ~ Safe and Sound

Roughly seven months had passed and it was nearing closer and closer to Christmas. Snow was on the ground and the house was lit. Beth smiled lightly, hugging herself a bit as she stood out on the balcony. Alois smiled and walked up behind her, wrapping his arms around her waist. He was rather much taller than her, now, given the fact he had turned fifteen a month ago.

"You should come inside." He finally spoke, resting his chin on the top of her head. "You'll catch a cold."

"I know..." Beth sighed. Alois grinned and pulled her inside, falling backwards on the brick patch in front of the fireplace. She fell back on top of him and she took it upon herself and flip around, smiling at him. He always loved hugging her at these times because the sweater she was wearing that day was so soft and warm. Then again, so was she. Her ribs had healed long by now. In fact, she took the bandages off in late August.

"You know that I can consider you my arm rest now, shorty." Alois teased. Beth giggled.

"Stop it, I can't help it." She pouted, grinning.

"Ah, I'm just messing with yah." Alois laughed a bit, ruffling her hair. Beth bit her lip, smiling, then leaning in and gently placing her lips againsed Alois's. He grinned, kissing her back, and tangling one hand in her hair, the other staying on her waist. Beth then broke the kiss, smiling. Alois giggled a bit. "What was that for?"

"Because I love you, your highness." Beth grinned, biting her tongue and laughing a bit. Alois smiled as well.

"I love you, too, my girl in maroon." He bit his lip a quick second, then kissing her again. A light blush rose to her cheeks. He then pulled back, the kiss only lasting a few moments. Beth thought for a moment, then speaking up.

"You know today is Ciel's birthday, right?" She sheepishly asked. Alois nodded.

"I know. I also know your birthday is close."

Beth giggled a bit.

"It's two months away, it's not even close."

"Closer than March." He smiled. Beth nodded a bit.

"True. But further than January."

"Oh, now you're just playing with my words." Alois chuckled a bit, kissing the tip of her nose. He then pulled her into a hug, burying his face between the soft velvet of her sweater and her natural, silky maroon locks. "I love you; and I'm never going to let you go. You're mine, and nobody can change that." Alois whispered into her neck, shutting his eyes. That nearly brought tears to Beth's eyes. Nobody had ever said something so deep or so kind to her before. The nicest thing she's heard for the past eight years is "I'll cut you some slack".

Beth let him hug her. She let him wrap her in his embrace. She let him keep her safe and sound. It was a wonderful feeling to her that she would never be able to get over. Just thinking about that fact made tears pool in the corners of her eyes.

"I love you, too, Alois. I love you so much. Don't let me go."

That made Alois's heart sink. He finally pulled back a bit, staring into her eyes.

"I won't. I promise." He smiled. "It's getting late. We should probably get to bed."

Beth nodded. "Alright."

With that, she got up off of him. Alois stood up after her and smiled a bit, hardly visible, and intertwined his fingers with hers, holding her hand. Beth smiled and with that, they walked off to bed.

However, today was December 14th and there was no way in hell Beth would just forget Ciel's birthday.