Chapter 9 ~ Dark Shadows

A loud bang was heard that jerked Beth awake, making her squeal a bit. Her eyes were wide as she stumbled from bed, looking out her window into the neon blue of the night sky looming over the ground. Muffled screams were heard outside and the rustle of struggle haunted her mind. Did she really want to see what this was?

Yes she did.

Beth looked out the window and a man's feet kicked frantically as he was getting dragged away. A shot gun flailed in his arm and a white gloved hand was over his mouth as red eyes glowed in the darkness. Muffled screams and cries for help was heard from the man with a tear-stained face. However, what she couldn't seem to understand is what he was doing, or who was dragging him away. Beth jumped, tears pooling in her eyes of fear as the sound of a tearing crack ended the cries. Beth's hands and knees shook as if she had Parkinson's Disease and tears flowed from her eyes in sync to her sputtering words making no sense as they rolled off her tongue. She back up from the window slowly in fear and squealed in fright at the soft knock on her door. Ciel shoved it open cautiously and shut it behind him, a worried look on his face. He saw her state and figured she saw the whole thing. He pursed his lips and sighed, walking up to her, and pulling her into a hug. Beth stood there, shocked for a moment that Ciel would actually voluntarily hug someone. If that, a female. A female that isn't even related to him.

Eventually getting the feeling back in her arms, she lifted them and wrapped them around Ciel, hugging him back. Ciel eventually let her go, his hands still on the sides of her shoulders, an upset look on his face.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry you had to see that." He pouted a bit. Beth still trembled, but her tears began to stop. A small smile rose to her tear-raided lips.

"Thank you." She grinned.

"For what?"

"For being there for me."



After Beth had gotten up and ready, she was heading downstairs to breakfast. When she got there, Sebastian was tending to Ciel's meal, however, his gloves seemed to look more pure white and new. Wait, what if... No! That's impossible! Is it?

Beth shook off the fact that Sebastian wasn't in the house all of last night and sat down at the table. Sebastian approached the young girl to pour her her drink and something on the rim of his sleeve caught her eye: One of his silver buttons was now painted a dark auburn and Beth's eyes grew wide.

"Are you okay?" Ciel asked. Beth looked up at him abruptly, eyes still wide.

"F-Fine." She stuttered, choking out the soft words. She looked up at Sebastian who gazed down at her, giving her a stoic expression, but those crimson eyes didn't lie to her. Beth wanted to curl up in fear, but she stood her ground, yet so far that has gotten her no where.

Beth finally averted her eyes toward her food. Sebastian smirked at this, then bowing, and leaving the room. Ciel looked over Beth's shoulder at the black butler's exit, and once the door clicked shut, Ciel turned his attention back to Beth.

"What's wrong?" He asked abruptly. Beth frowned a bit, hesitating to tell him.

"His gloves are more white and new. And he has blood on his sleeve." She squeaked, more like a cry. Ciel pursed his lips with a sigh, hanging his head. He wanted to tell Beth the truth, but he feared she'd never be the same again. Beth flash-backed to the night before. The cracks, the screams, the gun, the dragging and... The glowing red eyes.

Beth gazed up at Ciel with a serious expression. "Is he really just a butler?" She asked a bit coyly. Ciel smirked.

"No," He began. "He's one hell of a butler."