Chapter 8 ~ The Pretty Little Liar

Here we are. Like a fairy tale. Like a Wayside story.

"When can I see you again?" Beth asked, fretting this would be the last. Alois smiled, placing another short peck on her lips.

"Soon. Just be patient." He smiled. Beth's heart flew around her rib cage as he stared into her eyes, setting his hand under her chin, lifting her head to place another kiss on her lips. It only lasted a few seconds, being quick. "I'll think of something." He smiled. Beth nodded, blushing a bit from the kiss. Alois smirked and hugged her, only he wrapped his arms around her rib cage. Beth struggled and whimpered, and finally Alois let go. "What's wrong?" He asked. Beth hesitantly lifted her shirt to her rib cage and revealed bloody bandages wrapped around her rib cage. Alois's eyes grew wide at the sight.

"Don't let her take me." She pleaded.

"Who?"

"M-Mom." She sobbed, almost literally. She could hardly choke out the words through her salty tears pelting her cheeks. Tears began to pool in the corners of Alois's eyes as he ran up to her and tugged her into a hug, being sure not to touch her rib cage with his arms. He buried his face in her neck.

"I won't. I won't let anyone hurt you again. You're mine, and nobody can change that." Alois spoke softly in her ear. A small smile lifted her lips.

"I love you." Her voice cracked through tears. Alois's heart melted.

"I love you, too." He grinned. They broke the hug, gave each other one last kiss, and then went their separate ways. Beth took fifty steps back to the fountain and escaped the woods where she started. And stopped for a moment, wore a smile of satisfaction, fixed her hair, and headed towards the house. She got in the house and headed upstairs toward her bedroom.

Beth shut her door and kicked off her shoes. She then fell back on her bed and sighed, gazing up at the ceiling.

"You're mine, and nobody can change that." Rang through her head all the while. This made her smile. However, inside she was cursing herself for letting her guard down. But this just felt so right! She would never get treated this way again. Someone who would jump in front of the bullet instead of being the one firing. So, until the day will come, she would just take what she could get.

A small tap was heard on the door that snapped Beth out of her dreamy daydreams. She rolled her head toward the door. She made sort of a "Hm?" humming sound to let them know they could come in. Ciel stepped in, looking worried.

"You disappeared, I got really worried. Where were you?" He asked out of pure concern. Beth sort of bit the inside of her cheek, choking back the truth.

"I... I was in the garden... The whole time." She squeaked. Ciel knew damn well she was lying, but he didn't admit she was lying, because if he did, she would get frightened, and then he would just regret everything. He would have more guilt and sorrow on his shoulders than when his house burned down. As of right now, Beth was getting the wave of guilt for lying. "I lied..." She admitted. Ciel didn't say anything, because he already knew that. "I was with... Alois..." Beth let her pupils sink to the sheets in shame. Ciel restrained his glare towards her.

"You promised me you wouldn't be around him anymore."

To his surprise, Beth grinned and let out a short giggle.

"Then I guess I'm a liar." She softly chirped. This time, Ciel didn't hold back his glare towards her.

"Yeah. I know." Was the last thing the Earl said before he pivoted on his heel and walked out, pulling the door shut with a click. Beth was content with that and showed it through her smile, humming a bit in satisfaction. That took a lot off her shoulders. Now that he knows she loves Alois and he can't keep her from him, she doesn't have to hide as much. It's one less thing off her plate, because he can't.

"You're mine" Echoed in her head one last time before she collapsed into a peaceful sleep, whispering the words back to the shadow whispers:

"And nobody can change that."