Chapter 1 ~ The Beginning

"Wait!" Alois shouted after her, grabbing her wrist and spinning her around. Her face turned pale as she wanted to shrivel up in a corner and cry, but she chose not to. "I'm sorry." Was all the Earl had to say before a small smile rose to his lips and he let go of her wrist, letting the young girl retract it quickly and tears form in the corners of her eyes, afraid of the worst. He held out his hand to the Girl In Marron. "Care to dance?"

How did we get here, you might ask? It all started when a young girl named Beth got a reality check from her parent's divorce papers that life wasn't the princess she was treated as.

Beth was at the age of eleven when this happened. School was rough. She got shoved around the block like a straw doll. That's what she felt like, at least; petrified. But there was that one day. That one good day when she was thirteen where she got an A's and B's on her tests that she had been taking all week. Nobody shoved her around. Indeed, when she got her tests back, there was a few mutters calling her a nerd, but compared to how they treated her in the past years, that was a compliment. She waved good-bye to the bus driver as she stepped off the bus and trotted up to the door, twisting the knob, and stepping in the house.

The house was silent. The only think she could hear was the door creak shut behind her as she nudged it with her foot.

"Mom?" She called out. For a few months now, she had been living with her mother. Her father only got her Thursdays, Sundays, and Mondays. Today was Tuesday. Usually everyone hates Tuesdays because they're always boring and have nothing going on.

Beth took a few more cautious steps into the house before her mother walked, more like stumbled into the kitchen doorway with bags under her eyes and making ill movements.

"Do... Do you got homework?" She slurred a bit, her half-open eyelids twitching.

"No... Mom have you been drinking?" Beth hesitantly asked. Her mother never drank. She never swore, either. Neither of her parents did. They went all-out to set a good example for their only daughter.

Her mother laughed hysterically.

"You're lying!" She half-barked. Beth backed up a bit.

"No, I'm not... All we had today was tests, so there was no homework."

"Did you just back-talk me?" The elder glared. Beth had a sorry look on her face.

"N-No! I just-"

"Go to your room!" She screeched. Beth scurried off to her room as fast as possible, shutting the door quietly. Her mother was never this aggressive. Then again, she had never seen her mother drunk.

Beth let her backpack roll off her shoulders and hit the floor with a thud. She plopped on her bed and hung her head, her long, auburn hair dangling by her cheeks. A few tears fell from her eyes. She had only hoped this would be temporary. She desperately hated to say this, but she was glad her mother would be punished with a hangover in the morning for being so mean to Beth.

The next day, her mother didn't even get out of bed, so she decided to do everything herself. Just something quick. She threw on some clothes (nothing special) and had a quick breakfast. She brushed her curls and her teeth and headed off to school. As the day progressed, things got more complicated. Bullies got worse; mainly preps. Otherwise, everything was the usual. If she kept her mouth shut and her head down, she remained translucent. A ghost. Every day was like this and every day, her mother's anger, aggression, and drinking got worse. Finally Beth was fed up with it.

"Mom, we need to talk."

"Shh!" Her mother shushed, setting her index finger over Beth's lips. "Nobody has time to listen to you lecture people about pointless things." She smiled, hiccuping. Beth shot a glare at her, slapping her mother's hand away.

"I am so tired of being treated like a ghost! All I want is for things to be back the way it was when I could come home and escape the torture those preps give me, and have a loving family who doesn't down two whole bottles of liquor!" Beth had finally snapped. Her mother's jaw dropped and she coldly slapped Beth across the face, making the child's head snap to the right.

"Don't you dare yell at me! Your father was a worthless piece of shit and you know it! And I think we have a little in common, you little bitch!" She snapped. Beth was already in tears, holding her cheek, but now her jaw dropped and her eyes grew wide. "Now go to your room and think about how much of a mistake you are!" She barked. Beth broke out into a full-blown sob and dropped everything, sprinting to her bedroom. The house was only one floor, so she had an easy way of getting out of this. She tried not to make too much noise and lifted her window. The screen made a sound that was like nails on a chalkboard that made Beth flinch. She didn't care where she was going, it just had to be away. But apparently, she made too much noise and her door flew open. Her mother grabbed her ankles and pulled her to the ground. Beth fell on her chest with a oof! and a whimper. "Look, you little whore," She began. "Face it, you have no friends to run off to. You have nobody to lean on." Her mother snarled. "I am you mother, don't you dare run away from me!"

"Then maybe you should start acting like a mother!" Beth defended at last. Her mother hissed through her teeth.

"I am so sick of you running your mouth. Do everyone a favor, and cut your throat open like the little bitch you are." Was the last thing her mother said, before walking around Beth, and swinging a kick into her side. Then another, and another, and another. Beth tried to scurry away through cries to stop, but finally her mother stopped kicking and grabbed Beth's hair, yanking her up. "If you ever speak again, next time, I won't spare you." She snarled, letting go of Beth's hair and watching her daughter's face meet the ground with a thud. She stepped over her body, and left the room. Beth limply tried to push herself up off the ground, but there was no use. So many organs were dislocated, and so many ribs were broken that she couldn't move. Eventually, she fell asleep there, Beth hoping it would be her last.