Chapter 3 ~ Savior

Beth opened her eyes groggily. She laid in a bed in a room partially-lit and rather big. Beth started to sit up, but yelped and laid back down. Her vision begun to clear and she could see around her. She obviously wasn't home. This room looked too rich to be home. Just as, the turning doorknob snapped her out of her thoughts and she jumped a bit. A tall male with raven hair in a black suit and crimson eyes stepped in, his eyes widening a bit.

"Oh, you're awake."

Beth shriveled up a bit. She had no idea who he was or what he would do to her. The man chuckled a bit. "You took a bad fall. You should be more careful." He smiled, stepping over to her side table and setting a tray on it, pouring a hot liquid from a teapot to a porcelain teacup. Beth shook her head no, responding to his comment to the fall. He caught that out of the corner of his eye and looked up. "You don't remember anything, do you?" She sighed, a look of sympathy on his face. Beth nodded. This confused him a bit. If she didn't fall, but she remembers everything, then what is she talking about?

Beth tried her hardest not to cry, but she let a few tears slip. A small fire burned behind his eyes. "Did someone do this to you?" He asked, his voice growing dark. Beth hesitantly nodded. She had no idea who he was, or who's side he was on. For God's sake, he could be a relative to her mother sent to kill her or babysit her. "Can you tell me who?" He asked, clenching his jaw a bit. Beth quickly shook her head 'no'. The man sighed. He didn't want to force it out of her, more-or-less gradually get it from her. Beth had already taken enough stress.

"I made you some tea if you'd like it." He finished, leaving the room and leaving her alone to solitude.

Outside of the room Beth was in, the man in black stopped by a boy dressed in blue in the hallway.

"She's awake?" He asked, looking up at him.

"Indeed, my lord. And it seems that someone did that to her, but she denied to tell me who. I presume when she was running through the woods, they might have been chasing her?" The man guessed. The boy nodded.

"I see. Very well. Do you know her name?"

He shook his head. "No. She won't even speak at all." The man frowned a bit. The boy nodded again, this time saying no more and stepping into Beth's room. Beth scurried back, wincing. The boy sighed in frustration.

"If you have broken ribs, why would you make such hasty movements?"

Tears welled in the corners of Beth's eyes. The boy paused. "Can you tell me your name?"

No response. Another sigh. "Fine. I'll tell you mine, then. I'm the Earl Ciel Phantomhive."

Beth looked at him in confusion. She knew that in the 1800's London, they had Earls, Lords, and Ladies, but now? Still? "What's that look for?" He asked. Beth curled up a little bit. Clearly, Ciel was not good at communicating with petrified mute girls. Beth would have gladly told him her name, but she made a promise.

"Do you have your voice?" He asked, trying to comprehend why she refused to speak. Beth nodded. "Did something happen that made you stop talking?"

Another nod. He showed the faintest bit of sympathy, but was quickly covered back up with the same stoic expression as before. "Well, you can trust me. Nobody will beat you." He assured. Beth kept a serious face, but inside she wore an assured smile.

"O-Okay-" She managed to choke out, though it was more like a squeak and she quickly clapped her hands over her mouth. A smile rose to Ciel's lips, a smirk more-or-less.

"You don't have to hide your voice. Now do you want to tell me your name?" He asked. Beth nodded briefly, managing to slip her name out.

"Beth..."