Chapter 4 ~ The Chronicles of Trust

Roughly a week had passed since Beth got to the Phantomhive mansion. She knew everyone's names now, but that doesn't mean she likes everyone. She figured out that the tall, raven-haired man had a name; that would be Sebastian.

She had warmed up the most to Ciel. He was always really kind to her. In fact, she had grown a small crush on him, but she hides it as best as possible.

Currently Beth sat in Ciel's office, watching him work. Watching him work had always fascinated her because he treated it like she treats school work... School work! She had been lost in thought that she forgot she was staring at him. He looked up from his work.

"Do you... Need something?" He asked with a small smile, realizing she was lost in thought. She shook her head a bit, snapping from la-la-land.

"N-No..." She half-whispered. She was still lost at voice. She rarely spoke and when she did, it was faint.

"Alright..." Ciel responded. He looked as if he was about to say something else, but a faint rapping was heard on the door. Ciel turned his attention to the twisting doorknob. Sebastian stepped in, holding a white envelope. Beth lost some color in her face. She still fears him, but not as much.

"Young master, I apologize for the interruption, but it seems you have a letter from the Earl Trancy." He informed. Ciel groaned, holding out his hand.

"Alright, let's get this over with." Ciel sighed. Sebastian smirked at that remark and handed Ciel the envelope. He gently tore it open and read it over. He then sighed, rubbing his forehead. Beth cocked her head a bit, raising a brow. However, Sebastian kept a stoic expression.

"May I ask what's troubling you, my lord?" Sebastian asked. Ciel looked up at him and sighed.

"It's an invitation to a ball at the Trancy mansion."

Beth's eyes grew wide. She was pretty sure she was still in 2013, because it was becoming a false time period. Earls? Balls? Butlers? It was all too confusing for her.

Ciel looked over at Beth. "Would you like to go?" He asked. Sebastian smirked at Ciel's action of asking a lady to a dance. Beth smiled brightly, nodding. She could only imagine the sights. Beautiful ladies in dazzling dresses, an orchestra playing the waltz, the golden lights reflecting off the tall windows that viewed the star-filled sky...

It was all so tempting.

Ciel nodded a bit, then looking to Sebastian. "We need to find her a dress."

Sebastian smirked. "I think I might have one for her, young master. When is this ball?"

"Tomorrow night. Can you have everything ready by then?"

"Of course, my lord. You see, I'm simply one hell of a butler."