Chapter 19 ~ Super Heroes

Beth stared at the glowing clock next to her, eyes wide in the darkness. She peeked over her shoulder at Alois who was finally sound asleep, but he had an arm around her. She bit her tongue when the bed creaked, but Alois remained asleep. Beth slowly slid across the bed, pulling the pillow down under her to replace herself with it. Finally, she managed to tip-toe out of the room, snatching up her coat, snow boots, and a little something else on her way there. She slipped on her boots and pulled on her coat, silently slipping out the door, and making her way into the frozen dead of night.

Emerging from the woods, she looked up at the tall house she once called home. Nothing has changed a bit. The icy windows lit with side lamp light and candlelight remained frosted with ice crystals that were freshly harvested from the sky above. Walking a little closer, the crisp snow tore and crunched beneath her soft boots. Beth fretted of letting Sebastian know she was waking his master at such a late hour, so she held her little something behind her back and walked just below Ciel's bedroom window, taking a small pebble, and chucking it at his window. This received nothing, but after about the third stone, the double glass doors connected to his balcony finally clicked open and Ciel rubbed his eyes, shivering a bit as he stepped out in the cold. Beth smiled up at him and his eyes grew wide once he saw who his mystery messenger was.

Finally Beth pulled the bouquet of white roses; his favorite, from behind her back and held them up. This brought a light smile to his face and she couldn't tell if it was the cold stinging his eyes, but he looked as if he was about to cry. With that, Ciel sped into the house and down the stairs, meeting her at the front door and pulling her into a hug.

"I knew you wouldn't forget." He whispered into the nape of her neck. Beth smiled and pulled from the hug, handing him the roses. With that, the clock had stricken midnight and chimed throughout the house. Just as she hoped, she made it before midnight.

"You might want to get them into warmth before they wither." She giggled. "I better get going before Alois wakes up and finds he was holding a pillow and not me."

Ciel nodded, looking down at the flowers. "I better get inside as well. The cold drift might be a little obvious coming from my open balcony doors, my open bedroom door, and the bed empty." He shrugged, then looking back up at her. "Thank you, though. I didn't think it was like you to forget." He smirked. Beth gave him one last smile before turning the other way and took one step, getting her arm grabbed and she spun around to face Ciel, him placing a quick kiss on her cheek, giving her a soft smile, and turning inside and shutting the door. Beth blushed a bit, but turned and left.

When she arrived home, she slipped back into the same spot she was in before she left successfully without waking Alois. She smiled a bit and shut her eyes, her eyelashes dotted with snow crisps and hair frozen and smelling like fresh winter air. Then everything came flashing back to her. A conclusion. An epiphany making her know life's pattern. We live, we love, we die. We're born with each of our own talents and the reason we have more. Then we fall in love and then we die. Nobody actually gets a happy ending. Like every super hero movie that begins with their talent; their power. They get the girl, then their kryptonite takes them down. All we are, are our own super heroes.

When Beth awoke, she was alone. Alois was gone. He must have gotten up already. So, with that, Beth got herself up and around by herself and walked downstairs. Just as she expected, Alois was downstairs. He had his coat on and was slipping on his snow boots, then he looked up at her and grinned.

"Oh, hi, Beth. Wanna come with me?"

"Where are you going?" Beth asked, wincing a bit.

"I'm gonna go to the shed and grab my ice skates."

Beth's eyes then grew wide. "You skate?" She practically gasped. Alois nodded.

"Want to come? I can teach you." Alois smirked a bit. Beth smiled brightly.

"Of course I will! I'll go get dressed."