Chapter 17 ~ The Devil's Arithmetic

Beth's eyes began to tear up as she trembled, finding her eyes to meet her mother's gray ones. Claude had left already and this made her fearful: She was alone. Claude was upstairs with Alois tending to chores, so in a small way, they both had something to do.

"You know," Her mother began. "I never thought you'd make it this far."

Beth kept her mouth shut, just as her mother had wanted her to, then her cuts on her face caught her mom's eye. "Hm," She smiled. "What happened to you? Tripped over a rock?"

"What do you want..." Beth finally squeaked.

"I thought I told you to never speak again. It's funny, though. Pretty ironic for you to speak right now."

Her mother then smirked. "Because I came to finish you off."

Tears just then formed in the corner of Beth's eyes as her mother pulled a gun from behind her, holding it up.

"Hell no!" Someone yelled from behind her. She knew that voice. Beth never would have imagined they'd stand up for her.

The person sprinted up and grabbed the tip of the gun, but her mother pulled the trigger. A bullet shot through their arm and into their torso, but they held still, a smile rising to their face. "You know what else is funny? The fact of how strong you think you are." It growled, grabbing her mother's collar and lifting her into the air above them. "And you know what else is also ironic? The fact that you and I have something in common. I came here you finish you off." They Cheshire grinned, throwing her mother on the ground. The gun went off again, shooting just past Beth. Beth jumped, covering her ears. The person then looked over their shoulder and winked at Beth. "I got your back, kid."

Beth smiled slightly, slowly removing her hands from her ears.

"Thank you... Paranoia."

Paranoia then nodded at the girl, turning his attention back to her mother, throwing her a kick.

"I've been watching you. Your daughter did nothing to you to deserve what pain you caused her." He continued, tossing three more kicks at her. "I think it's time you wash that liquor out of your mouth with some crimson, hm?" He cooed, circling around her limp body as she coughed and hacked. Paranoia finally stopped moving and sighed. "You bore me. I'm done." He finished, grabbing her mother's head and twisting it into a 360 degree angle. Beth didn't jump; she didn't cry; she didn't flinch. Paranoia then turned to look at Beth and she stood up slowly, scared what he might say or do.

"You... You saved my life!" Beth gasped, more like a whisper. Paranoia wore that same bone-stretching grin.

"I told you I was watching you."

This brought a smile to Beth's face.

"Thank you." She sputtered, running up to Paranoia and throwing her arms around him. He reeked of blood and ash, but she didn't care. This beast she once called a nightmare is something- someone she can call a friend.

Paranoia was shocked a moment at her sudden reaction and behavior, but after a while, he eventually hugged her back.

"You're welcome, child."



"Please?" Alois pouted. Beth thought for a moment. The Trancy mansion was wonderful, but Ciel had become a brother to her, and she would feel bad if she said no to Alois.

Alois then smirked, walking up to her, nearly a inch gap between them. He then set his hand under her chin and tipped her head up a little bit so that she could face him. He wore a seductive smirk on his face and he had that certain glisten in his eyes saying he was up to something. "You know," He began. "If you don't give me an answer, I'll have to force it out of you." He winked, placing his lips on Beth's neck and jawline, sucking lightly, but not hard enough to leave a mark.

"N-Nn... Fine..." Beth sputtered, holding back a moan. Alois smirked, disconnecting his lips from her neck, his hands snaking around her waist, pulling her closer.

"I promise I'll take care of you."

"I know you will." Beth chirped, smiling brightly. Alois chuckled a bit, kissing the tip of her nose.

This was it. This was her final, but not last good-bye. It was going to take some courage to leave, but it was her decision. She was leaving the Phantomhive mansion.

[VOTE]: Who do you ship more?

Alois x Beth

Ciel x Beth

Sebastian x Beth

Paranoia x Beth