Chapter 11 ~ Black as White

The Phantomhive mansion was lit in the dark of night as if it was on fire. Bad irony.

Beth walked up the door with Alois on her tail, still holding the cat in her arms. Before she did anything more, she gently set the cat on the ground. Beth frowned in apology to the cat, of whom's back glittered of a few sparkles from Beth's shirt. The cat shook it off. Nothing big to worry about.

After that, Beth turned to Alois and gave him a warm hug. "Thank you." She whispered. Alois grinned, pulling away from the hug and placing a single kiss on her forehead.

"You're welcome. I love you." Was the last thing Alois said before Beth replied with:

"I love you too."

After that, Alois gave the tip of her nose a quick kiss, then wandering off to his house. Beth smiled warmly, shoving open the door, saying good-bye to the cat. She stepped inside and heaved the door shut. Beth was about to step up to the first stair, but footsteps stopped her in her tracks. Sebastian walked up aside the stairs, sighing a bit and fixing his hair. Beth gave him a cock-eyed look. "Rough night?" She asked worriedly. Sebastian jumped a bit, but casually went back to a stoic expression.

"You startled me, Mistress. And somewhat. I just... Finished my chores." Sebastian coolly masked his lie. "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to help my master retire." He finished with a small bow, stepping in front of Beth and walking up the stairs. Watching him walk away, Beth could have sworn she saw a glint... A glint of glitter shimmering on his back.



Ciel had his arms crossed, a glare on his face, tapping his foot in frustration. Beth looked up from her breakfast at the irritated Earl.

"W-What's wrong?" Beth stumbled on her words.

"You made a promise, didn't you?"

Beth turned pale, chuckling nervously.

"W-Whatever do you mean?"

"You know exactly what I mean." He growled. Beth drew a pause at this, having no more to say. She didn't want to lie, because that was one of the worst things possible. Also she's never done it before. Beth then hung her head in shame. "Why the hell would you trust him!? What if he shoved you off the cliff!?"

Beth looked up, jaw dropping. Ciel instantaneously shut his mouth. "... What? It's the easiest reference; being shoved off a cliff." Ciel smoothly covered. However, Beth wasn't born yesterday. She didn't buy it. Instead, she shot him a glare.

"How did you know about that?"

"Know about what?" Ciel lied coolly. Beth continued to glare. Ciel wasn't affected by this glare, though, she was the last person that would ever scare him in the slightest bit. Hell, his own fiance, Elizabeth, scared him more.

"Ah, it was beautiful the way the sun melted in the sky like hot butter over the horizon, painting the woods purple."

"Nice try, I wasn't there."

Beth huffed in defeat.

"Then I suppose you might tell me how your butler got the glitter from my shirt on his back."

"Beth, please... Would you really want me to list those possibilities?" Ciel glared, not at her, but nothing in particular, knowing how his butler was when it came to anything with breasts and a heartbeat. Mentioning that, Beth was rather offended that he would assume something like that about her.

"I did nothing with your butler! If I did, you would know!"

"So you're saying you would?"

"No!" She snapped. Ciel chuckled maniacally.

"So who were you with?"

"Nobody."

"Don't lie to me." He growled in that thick British accent of his. And she realized what she just did. She just lied. She just created her very first lie in her whole thirteen years of age. Beth hung her head.

"Alois..." She whispered, almost impossible to hear. Ciel hummed.

"That's what I thought."

Beth could no longer hold back the single tear she could tolerate to hesitate, letting it roll down her cheek. "You know... I don't care what you do with him. But I warned you. If he hurts you or breaks your heart, don't come crawling back to me."

"He won't."

Ciel laughed shortly.

"Whatever you say." Was his last word before he stood up and left the room. Beth's brain hurt. This was all too much. She looked up to meet eyes with Sebastian on the other side of the table. Well, a fancy meeting him here.

"I'm sorry, mistress... I didn't mean to cause trouble."

Beth glared at him.

"Leave me alone."

"That won't do you any good."

"Neither will what you're hiding." Beth drew a pause, hesitating for her next question. "What are you?" She asked, choking on her words.

Sebastian hummed shortly, sort of like a laugh, looking down a moment. He then turned his attention back up to the young girl in front of him.

"Tell me something, mistress..." Sebastian began. Beth swallowed the lump in her throat that her nerves had created.

"Do you believe in the devil?"