12. Night Terrors

Start from the beginning

     At this point, I couldn't stop myself to wrap my arms around him, tears streaming down my face as I let out a muffled sob on to his shirt.

      It took Alex a minute to realize what was truly going on, but once he did, his arms slide around my waist. Everything was in slow motion, like a clock being watched, time froze.

   His scent was comfort to my aching anxiety, every bone within me felt relieved. I no longer cared about my sweaty self and the fact that my legs could give out any second, as long as I had Alex, I was going to be okay.

"Fuck, Laila. How did you get here?" His voice was demanding, but I knew it was because he cared about me.

  I removed my head away from the crook of his neck, looking up at him. "I'm so sorry." I scarcely choked.

"Laila," He warned me. "how did you get here?"

"I ran." I bumbled under my breath, already knowing his protectiveness just might kick in.

   "You know what could happen to you at this time of night?" His touch vanished from my cold body. He allowed me to enter before closing the door, the hearing of locks being secured sounded off behind me.

  "Come on," His hand lied on my lower back, guiding me to the couch. I sat down, watching him put the glass bottle on the kitchen counter. He rubbed his closed eyelid harshly, letting out a groan.

   "What fucking happen to the 'I never want to see you again', huh?" he stared back at me, his eyebrows lowered; hurt could be heard in his tone.

   He wasn't going to get a word out from me with him talking to me like that. It wasn't me being ignorant, it was just me not knowing what to do or know what to say at all.

"So I'm guessing that promise is broken." He let out a brittle laugh, taking a seat next to me.

"I read it." I confessed, biting my lip, not knowing what his action will be.

"Read what?"

I didn't even want to tell him by the sound of his voice, it couldn't be any worse. It was harsh and stern.

"Your journal entry." I lowly whispered.

His reaction wasn't what I had in mind. I thought he'd blow up, but he surprisingly he didn't.

   He sighed loudly, sinking into the couch. I trained my eyes on the TV. It was on SpongeBob SquarePants. The intense moment between Alex and I happened to be shared with a children show. I laughed with a crooked smile. This wasn't how I expected it to be.

"What's so funny?" He eyed me suspiciously.

 "SpongeBob is on." I stated.

"Are you, Laila Rose, making fun of me?" He switched his accent to an over-dramatic New Jersey one, with his finger pointing at his chest.

"Maybe I am, maybe I'm not." I smirked playfully, causing him to grin, forming wrinkles at his eyes, which I had grown to adore.

"Laila, why did you truly come?" He asked, after a few minutes of the hearing of his neighbour's headboard to their bed banging against the opposite wall of the living room, which add a layer of awkwardness to the atmosphere.

"I woke up." I simply explained.

"There must be more than just waking up." He rolled his eyes. I was starting to believe he had taken that after me.

  "Alex," I paused, switching my position, putting one leg beneath me, moving my body to be directly looking at him. "have you ever had a recurring nightmare before?"