Chapter 29

“Are you ready to go, boys? Better leave early just in case we get lost.”

I smiled over at Leon, who I could tell was nervous, but trying not to show it. I was grateful we had so much time over the last few days together – Prisha hadn’t worried about finding him a space quickly, though she had been over a couple of times during the week just to check up. She said that there were a few different places she was looking over and would talk to us about them by the end of the week. I kept trying to remind him that they would be all for the best, no matter where he went, but I didn’t blame him for not being completely trusting. It would take time, probably a lot of it, and I was glad Milly and Mam were being so positive towards him. You’re such a charmer, Leon.

“Yeah, that’s a good idea. I don’t think it’s super far, but you don’t get travel sick or anything, right?” He shook his head. “Good. Thanks for taking us, Mills.”
“It’s alright, no problem. Better get going, right?”
“Yeah,” I said. “Right.”

I gave Leon the passenger seat – a big enough gift on its own – and pressed myself against the window, looking out at the scenery. It wasn’t often I got to travel past the town, and even if it was only for a while, it was almost like a holiday for me. The desire to get away was one I usually kept to myself, but I knew that as soon as I was done with school, I would go as far as I could. I had dreamed of Paris or Barcelona or Beijing or Tokyo, anywhere I could speak a new language and be around new people and be a new person. And although I didn’t know if I could ever bring myself to leave Mam and Mills that much, it didn’t matter. I just wanted to get away.

It wasn’t long before I felt the car stopping, my sister pulling up at the end of a street. We looked to be on the edge of a housing estate, with the occasional chippy and corner shop dotted around between the rows of red brick houses. If we hadn’t been travelling for quite a while, I would’ve sworn this was just another part of the town – and it was then I was reminded how dull of an area it really was. It seemed suffocating, a little.

Milly’s phone beeped. “The sat-nav says we’re here,” she said. “Should we get out and have a look around for it?”
Leon nodded, opening the car door quickly, with me following behind. I hurried up a little to match his pace, and saw that he was playing with his fingertips, staring at the ground.

“Hey, are you alright?” I asked, quietly. He nodded again, biting his lip. “Scared?”
He looked over at me. “A little bit.”
“That’s okay, Leon,” I said. “Just... don’t worry what happens. If it’s positive, and you want to start properly going, like, as a regular thing, then that’s awesome. And if it’s not, then... we just move on. Just be honest with yourself, either way, right? We just want you to be happy, Allah or no Allah.”

We reached the doors of the building – not quite as grand as some of the ones I had seen in the pictures on google, but it was still very pretty. It looked like two or three of the houses around knocked into each other, and I could see a slither of a patio and garden around the back.

I held the door open for him, the musky smell of dust and old books that reminded me of the museums my sister loved to visit on holiday hitting my nose. The inside wasn’t too different from the old church I used to have playgroups in, with a carpeted floor and a large stained glass window reflecting its picture onto the floor.

A man walked up to us, smiling – he was short, and stout, but with a kind face and a thick beard. He had a white turban looking thing on his head, and he was wearing a plain white garment, with little gold patterns around the sleeves and collar.

“Good afternoon, boys!” He said, smiling. “I am Imam Ali. My good friend’s wife told me about you. You are Leon, yes? It is very good to meet you, brother.”
I looked over at him, and I could tell he was panicking. “Yes, it is... good, to meet you also.”
He turned to me. “I am sorry, who are you?”
“Oh, um, I’m Callum,” I said.
“And you are also Muslim?”
“No, uh, sorry, I just came in to make sure it was the right place.” I smiled. “But if you’re all set, now, Leon, I’ll leave you to it, alright?”
“Wait,” he said, quickly. “Can I... ask some questions?”
“Of course, brother.”
“So, you know this... service... it is in Arabic?”
“Most of it will be English, do not worry,” he said. “But certain prayers will be in Arabic. Since it is the language the Qu’ran was written in, you see? But if you do not speak any, we will help, do not worry.”
“Okay... and it is every Friday? For an hour?”
“Yes, that is correct. At some special times, like Ramadan, the services may change, a little, but Friday is our day for prayer, generally. However, there are some services in the week, and at the weekend also, such as the one today. We understand that people's lives are very busy.”
“I understand,” he said. He looked over at me, for a minute, and then took a deep breath. “Can I ask one more, if that is okay?”
“Of course.”
“Are you... well... do you think that you can be Muslim, if you are gay? Because I worry... because Allah says that I should get married, to a woman, and have children, and... I do not know if I could do that.”
“Leon, do not worry,” he said. “Allah makes our souls, he gives us choice, and he expects us to do good with it. But he is kind, and he will help us.” Please don’t say to ‘pray the gay away.’ Please. “And if we do not exactly fulfil his plan, as long as it is for a good reason, he will understand. Just like a woman who does not have a womb cannot produce children, a man who cannot lie with a woman without suffering, it is also impossible for him. And while I do believe that a man and a woman in marriage, with loving, religious children is the best way to have a family, if that is not possible, then we must trust him, how he made us, and just follow his words.”
“Thank you,” he said. “For understanding. For being so kind.”
He really does thank anyone, I thought. How little good did people do for you when you were a kid, Leon? “It is just what I believe Allah wants,” he smiled. “Now come, alright? Let us experience Him for ourselves.”