Chapter 27

“Hello, welcome back, Callum and Anne. We just finished talking about generally what’s happened – when did this kind of thing start, history of abuse,” that word in particular hit me hard every time I heard it, “In the family, and things that, you know, would help you. Because I think social workers like me are often painted in a bad light – like we are shown to tick boxes and then send you off somewhere, you know what I mean? But I am simply here to be a friend, and to help figure out what would be the best step forward. Now, I need to fill out another sheet – I swear ninety percent of my job is paperwork, you have no idea how many pens I go through in a week – and to be honest, it’s pretty similar to the other one, but I thought this would be good to discuss with you, also, as you can provide another, uh... perspective. Would you like to sit down? And then we can begin.”
“Sure,” I said, sitting next to Leon, with Mam the other side of me. His hand found my own instinctively, and I trusted him to tell me if this got too much for him.
“The first bit is just personal details. Name is... Leon Oliveira-
“Ah, if it is important,” he said. “My true second name is not Oliveira. That was the name from my mother before she was married.”
“Right, so what’s your real one?”
“Al-Amin,” he said, quietly. “It is the real name. But my mother does not like to use it.”
“Ok, well, whichever you’re comfortable with.” She said. “We’ll have to use the one on your birth certificate for all the legal stuff, but apart from that, it’s up to you.”
“I like... Al-Amin,” he said, and she nodded.
“Current address – I will put both yours and this house down, if that is alright, Anne?”
“Of course. You can use me, or Milly or Cal for any kind of contact things or signing or anything like that.”
“Thank you. Age... sixteen?”
“Fifteen, now.”
“And birthday?”
“The 29th of October.”
“Wait,” I said. “Your birthday’s next week?”
“Oh, um, yes,” he said, smiling. “But is not a big problem. You do not need to buy things for me, or anything like that.”
“Well... we’ll go somewhere at least.”
He rolled his eyes, but I could see him smile widely.
"Anyway, boys,” Prisha said, grinning. “Next question, race and nationality?”
He looked at her, then over at me, confusedly. “I am sorry. I do not understand those words.”
“Ah, race and nationality are like, where you come from, so my race is white, and my nationality is British, I guess, because that’s the country I was born in. That’s right, right?” Prisha nodded.
“I... do not know. My family are from many different places, I do not know the correct answer.”
“Just whatever one you want, Leon. Whatever one you feel the most comfortable with.”
“I am... from Belgium, and... I am an Arab.” He said, nervously. I squeezed his hand. Well done, Leon, well done. I couldn’t even imagine trying to get over the shame he had been taught. My parents had never been overtly positive, but at least they never... made me feel bad, for anything. Especially things I couldn’t control.
“That’s interesting. Where are you from?”
“My father was from Morocco,” he said. “It is why he spoke French. However my father’s family were from many different parts around there, like Saudi Arabia, and Israel.”
“That is very interesting. It’s so sad that it isn’t really a safe area to visit around there anymore – My family is from Pakistan.” I mean, I was sort of right. “But it’s nice to have a kind of culture behind you like that, right? When I meet another Pakistani person, it is like we are friends already, because we already share a similar childhood.” She smiled. “Are you religious?”
“I...” he paused. “Yes, I am a Muslim.”
“As-Salamu Alaikum,” she said. “So am I. Whenever I feel sad, I read some of the Qu’ran, or talk to my husband – he is an Imam – and it makes me feel peace, for a little while. Do you like to do that?”
“Oh, um,” he played with my fingertips. “I have not read a lot for a very long time. My father was the only person that really believed in Allah. I cannot – could not – practice much, when I was at my house.”
“Well, I’ll make sure to find a place for you to explore your faith again,” she said. “If that is what you want.”
He paused, and then nodded. “I want that.”
“Alright,” she said, jotting something down on the back of the sheet. “I’ll look around, and see if anything around would be suitable for you. Now, for the rest, I just need to make notes of what your requirements are, in terms of homing. For the first point, I’ll put halal – anything else?”
“I want... to be alone, in a room,” he said. “I am uncomfortable to dress around other people.”
“Okay, anything else?”
“And...” he looked down. “I want to be somewhere close. So I can visit Callum.”
She smiled. “I’d never split you up, don’t worry. Apart from that, I think we’re done. Any questions, or anything you want to add? Either of you.”
“Um, yes,” He said, almost whispering. “I have one thing.”
“What is it, Leon?”
“Could you... help my mother, also? I know that you may not like her, because she does not work or clean or do a lot of things, but it is because she ill. She is very tired and sad every day, becquse she has depression. It is not her fault that she cannot do things. So please... help her. Because I love her, very much.”
She nodded, smiling sympathetically. “Of course, Leon. Adult mental health isn’t my speciality, but I’ll be in contact with relevant people as soon I can. So don’t worry about her, or yourself, or anyone else. You’re really brave for saying all this to me, I know it’s hard when a stranger just appears and asking you all these questions, but thank you for being so cooperative. I’ll make sure to do the best for you I can.”
“Thank you, Prisha,” he said. He squeezed my hand, tracing his thumb around my hand. “And thank you too, Callum. Thank you for everything you have done.”