Chapter 15

And, in a twist of events I honestly didn’t expect, I was face to face – or face to chest – with a guy who looked like Leon if he had been deflated and then re-inflated a couple of times, and then maybe ran over by a few trucks. He had one of those beards that clung to his face like a neck brace, lighter, flaking skin, and off him radiated the most horrendous combination of smells I had had the joy of experiencing. I tried to pick out each scent – BO and smoke and beer and piss, to name a few. Probably also blood and maybe puke, by the way he had more gaps than teeth.

So a lovely guy, generally.
“Quem é você, eh ? Quem é você?”
I hate to say this, Leon, but you are a horrible liar. This is definitely not French and I definitely do have to worry.
“Il est un ami, Baptiste. Il s’appelle Ca-“
“Cale-se, sujo ! Quem é você? Me responda, agora !”
I looked over to Leon for help, but he looked just as lost and, to be honest, completely terrified as me. This can’t have really been his brother, surely...

Apparently getting frustrated, he grabbed my collar, and without thinking, I began to speak in the only way I hoped we could communicate. “Je, je m’appelle Callum, je ne suis pas une mauvaise personne, désolé, je vais aller à ma maison, mais je suis un ami de Leon, nous etudions pour collège, tu sais ? Mais, je dois aller, merci beaucoup pour je peux être ici, mais je... je...” Man, maybe if the teacher got a couple of the sixth form rugby boys to threaten me before I did my speaking exams, I would get an A*, at least for the speed.

He slammed me against the wall, my head feeling like it was going to explode. Then, he let go of me, quickly, and my legs only just reacted in time to pick me back up. “Tu ne peux pas venir ici ! Aller, maintenant ! Rapidement !”

Taking that as my cue, I gave a fleeting look of guilt to Leon, suddenly understanding the bruise and the black eye that was surrounded by it and the look of helplessness he had when anyone laughed or shouted in his direction.

I am sorry, Leon, I said. I am so sorry that I have to go. That I have to let you live with him.