What Is Going On?

Rachel's POV

A few days have passed since I had dreamt of a future with Derek, one I know I can never have. I am currently walking through the compound at work and seeing so many of his kind locked in cells almost made me feel horrible, only, I know what they did to end up in here. Although there are some that were just in the wrong place at the wrong time, I can't help them, I'm on thin ice right now ever since I helped Tyler get out.

Even though they believe that I killed him, they didn't like me taking him without approval first, or that I did it behind their backs. Sighing I made my way to the main office, to speak with my boss. I am retiring early, real early.

I knock on his door and open it as he tells me to enter. "Ms. Chandler, what can I do for you?"

"I was hoping that I could have a word," I told him as I took a seat in front of his desk.

He started twiddling with one of his pens, as he looked at me. "And what is it that you wish to discuss." His eyes narrowed, which made me a bit more nervous.

"I want to retire."

With one eyebrow raised, he leaned forward to place his arms on the desk and set the pen down. "Now why would one of our best hunters want to retire?"

"My mother and little brother. As you know about my being taken not too long ago, it has caused nervousness in my home, and it got me thinking." Paused, and thought of what to say. "What if it were to happen again, or if I never came back from a job? Who would take care of them? I practically raised my brother as he was my own, so I guess you could say I'm stuck. I don't want to leave them unprotected, but I'm afraid of what could happen if I continue in this line of work."

"That is concerning indeed, though I'm not sure this community will be so willing to let you go."

"I could always do patrols in the neighborhood." I offered, in hopes of him allowing me this, I mean I have done everything else that this work has asked. I have followed through on every mission.

"We could possibly work with you on that, though I would prefer that you stay with us." He began to rub his chin and seemed deep in thought. "It seems that your wish to leave us when we need you the most?"

"Like I said, I am worried about my mother and brother, I fear that not only I may not come back, but what if they may be targeted since I was able to get away?"

"I can see your concern. Rather than you leaving, why don't I just give you the easy jobs, on your own terms."

"You mean like a private hunter...A private agent?"

"Yes."

"That would mean promotion..."

"Yes it would, but you would be able to work your own schedule rather than us, so to speak."  His eyes never left me and I knew that he was serious.

"I suppose that would work, I would be able to keep an eye on my family more, and I would be able to pick the job, so I would be able to use more of a judgment on my abilities.  I would also be ableto receive more entail on a job."

"Indeed......So what do you say Chandler?"

I thought about it for a moment, before standing, I reached my hand out and shook his hand. "Sounds good to me." As I was walking out I could hear a commotion going on further down in the compound. Shaking my head, I decided that I would ignore it and keep going before my boss changed his mind.

There were a few other hunters that walked by me with frowns on their faces, and they nodded at me in acknowledge meant and I did the same. Walking with my head down, I looked up when I passed by a few others, only to meet with the eyes of someone I never thought I would see here. Derek was walking with a few of his men, and a few hunters. Our eyes held each other gaze for a seconds before we continued on our way as to not draw attention from everyone else. All the while I could hear my heart beating in my ears, and I fought to stay standing as I continued my way outside. The only thing on my mind was, what on earth is going on?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So sorry for taking so long to update, though thank you for being patient.  Also, there will be only a few chapters left to this book, then i will be starting the third.

Please let me know what all of you think, thank you again.

Also, check out my new story Enduring.