Boy, You Got My Heartbeat Runnin' Away

Author/ 777335
Word Count/ 12.1K
https://archiveofourown.org/works/13616832
___________________________

It starts, as most modern romances do, on the internet.

Which is to say that when Hoseok's in high school he and Yoongi get in a discussion on a music board and for some reason it devolves into a fight and then evolves into trading music and then they're just shooting the shit like they've known each other forever.  They keep talking and talking and the days pass and then weeks and then, holy shit, Hoseok realizes with a jolt, we're friends. 

Like.  Real friends.  Like good friends.  Like updated-on-the-mundane-and-the-big friends.  He's never met Yoongi in real life so maybe that should be weird but—it isn't.  

Hoseok sort of falls in love with Yoongi over skype.  Yoongi talks about making music like it's a real thing, like a producer is a thing he can become, has this glint in his eyes when he speaks.  Yoongi listens to Hoseok talk about dance with the same glint in his eyes, like he thinks Hoseok can do anything he wants.  It makes Hoseok think maybe he can.  

ill make you a beat, a song, you can choreograph something to it, Yoongi says, i mean, if you want

Hoseok does.

Yoongi makes him a beat and Hoseok is scared to put choreography to it for a month because he doesn't want to ruin what Yoongi has given him.

its really good, Yoongi says, when Hoseok finally gets up the nerve, youre really good, hoseok-ah. idk how you do it, make feelings into movements like that

Hoseok flies high on Yoongi's words for weeks. 

Like a year later, Yoongi saves the funds and moves to Seoul, tries to establish his name.  He rents this shitty little one bedroom, calls Hoseok on skype to show it off.  It's the worst place Hoseok has ever seen.  Yoongi's ecstatic about it.  Hoseok can't stop smiling while he watches Yoongi spin in the center of his studio, the whole apartment tour without taking a step.

The next year, Hoseok gets into uni in Seoul for dance and is so excited, so happy, tries to explain how much it means to him even though Yoongi already knows.  Yoongi squints at Hoseok like he doesn't want to look away, but Hoseok and his happiness are so bright that Yoongi can't quite look at them head on.

Hoseok moves to Seoul and Yoongi takes them out for samgyupsal with money he probably doesn't have.  It's the first time they've met in real life.

Yoongi sticks his tongue out the side of his mouth when he's thinking.  He has this habit of ruffling his hair out from the crown of his head.  His accent slurs his words, just around the edges.  He narrows his eyes when he listens hard.  When he smiles, Hoseok feels like he can't breathe.  

Hoseok knew these things about Yoongi, but he learns them again.

He learns new things.

Yoongi smells like citrus and the air right before lightning storms.  He's small, but he takes up space.  His shoulders are broad, but there's something delicate in him.  His hair smells a bit like ginseng, like sage.  He touches things softly.  His voice is like early morning frost.  When he smiles, Hoseok can't breathe. 

The first two years of Hoseok's uni life pass easy under the weight of dance and friends and Yoongi's intent eyes.  There's laughter and tears and cheap alcohol and good weed and classes and retreats and shows and injuries and healing and hurting and so much good, so much bad, so much everything in between.

Hoseok grows up a little, grows up a lot.  He dates a little, dates a lot.  People tell him they're in love with him quite a bit.  He's liked everyone he's dated, but he's not sure he's ever been in love with them.  Love, to him, should feel like some good kind of vertigo; like the pit of his stomach right before he goes on stage; like being brave.  Most of his relationships are light-hearted, everyone's feelings seem only puddle deep.  It's like people see him but don't see him at all.