joseph is a cold man

Belle's POV

The table is covered in all different assortments of foods, all made by Katherine and Marlon. Each plate and bowl was laid down on a scarlet red table cloth. It smelt glorious. The chicken was steaming, the potatoes too. Everyone was sat around the table, there was an empty seat my Michael so I walked over.
"Please tell me you're hungry" Michael whispered as he leant over to me, giggling. I looked into his eyes and squint playfully.
"Oh I am." I whisper, smiling.
"Well, now we're all here, dig in!" Katherine exclaimed, waving her hands in the air.
We all piled up our plates with delicious food and began eating. It felt like Christmas.
"So, Belle honey, how did you and my Michael meet?" Katherine asked, poring some wine into a glass.
I exhaled and told the entire story, start to where we are now. Michael was gazing at me the whole time. I have to admit, it is a story that never gets old. Which is good, because we both get asked it a lot.
"Isn't that adorable?" She says in a high pitched voice. I just giggle and nod. "He treat you right? Like a gentleman? He better be." She says, in a sort of demanding voice.
"Oh, he treats me perfectly. Like I'm royalty or something." I say, smiling. It's true. He makes me feel on top the world. Everyone at the table gushes.
"Isn't she just so pretty!" Janet exclaims, after staring at me silently for a while. I blush and thank her, while everyone starts talking about how they like my hair and outfit. They're all so sweet to me.
But, Joseph. He's sat at the end of the table, eating. He's barely said a word, apart from 'pass the salt". It makes me feel I've done something wrong, of he thinks badly of me. But I just have to remember what everyone's told me, it's nothing personal.
We chat and continue eating, for about an hour. LaToya then stands up and claps he hands together, "Who's washing up?"
"Not it!" Jermaine says, running out the kitchen.
"It was me last time!" Janet says, crossing her arms. Joseph simply walks out the room and presumes it won't be him.
"I will." Michael says rolling his eyes, after a moment of silence.
"Good boy." Katherine says, walking out the door. Along with everyone else in the room, leaving just me and Michael.
"Wanna help?" He says, looking tired.
"Of course" I say, piling the empty plates on top of each other. Michael starts the taps and adds bubbles.
He doesn't say much for a while, just looks down at his hands as he washes up. His face appears slightly...thoughtful and upset. I decide to check if he's ok.
"You alright, babe?" I say, putting my hand on his shoulder. He keeps his eyes on the sink as he carries on wiping plates.
"Yeah, I'm fine" he huffs, "I just hate how Joseph treats you. How he treats everyone. I want you to feel welcome, but all he does is create an awkward atmosphere. He always has. I don't understand."
"Michael, it's not your fault. He's clearly just a certain way, and that's him. I don't think he would mean to hurt you." I say, gazing at him.
"But he does hurt me. And he's always hurt me. You know the story." He says, looking more and more hurt.
"Yeah. Baby, I do feel welcome. I feel so welcome. Everyone is treating me so well, and me and Janet are already friends. I love you're family already." I respond, drying the plates Michael just washed.
"Really? Joseph hasn't ruined it?" He says, looking up at me with puppy dog eyes. I know he really cares.
"Really, Michael. He hasn't." I say, looking back at him. A tiny trace of a smile appears on his face.
I put my hand in the sink, so my fingers are covered in soap bubbles. I tap Michael's little nose, as he scrunches up his face. He looks so adorable, god.
"Hey!" He says, "you're playing with fire, little girl."
"Mhmm." I hum, smiling, as I carry on drying plates. I pick up some dishes and put them back in the glass cupboard. I turn around to go back to the sink, but my face is instantly smothered in bubbles.
I gasp, and hear muffled noises of Michael's laughter through the bubbles in my ear. I wipe my eyes with my hands to see him bent over in fits of laughter.
"Michael!" I exclaim, running over to the sink.
"S...s..sorry." He struggles to speak through his giggles. I roll my eyes, playfully. I pick up two handfuls of bubbles, and cover Michael's face in them.
"My mouth was open!" I hear, through the bubbles. I shrug.
"Karma!" I shout.
We both end up covered in bubbles, even more than the plates. We have taken turns to slip over on the floor and get laughed at.
His caramel, smooth skin has a shiny layer of water and soap on top. His inky, black curls are heavy with water. His t shirt is patchy, part transparent part not. He looks a mess, but a hot mess. And I just look a mess.
He pushes me up against the kitchen wall, "You surrender?"
"I guess you win, look at me!" I laugh, way more covered in bubbles than him. My make up has smudged, but so has his. I don't care whatsoever at this point.
He suddenly kisses me, his hands behind my head. The shape of his lips for perfectly with mine, as they move together as one. He bites my lip, and puts one of his hands on my lower back, sneaking down.
"I could kiss you all day." He whispers between kisses.
"Feel free." I say with a wink, as we continue to kiss, full of passion and lust.
Minutes of making-out later, we hear footsteps. We turn our heads, to see Joseph. He's stood in the doorway of the kitchen, scowling. He looks around the kitchen, covered in bubbles and the floor soaked with water. We knew it would come off tiles easily and were planning on cleaning it, but we got...distracted.
Michael steps away from my body and looks at Joseph. He strokes down his shirt and looks at his father, desperate for approval. He gulps in nerves. It breaks my heart, he doesn't need to try so hard for love and acceptance from his father. It's his loss. Although I completely understand.
"Michael, clean up." He says, coldly. It sends a shiver down my spine. I awkwardly hold my arm with my hand, looking at the floor. I know I look ridiculous right now.
"We will, we were about to." Michael says.
"Do it, now Michael." He says, looking Michael up and down in disapproval. He then looks at me, I gulp.
"Do you love my son?" He says.
"With all my heart, yes." I say, shakily.
"Not just his money?" Joseph says.
My heart drops. I suddenly feel I can't move. I don't know if it's fear, fury or sadness. But I have no words.
I look at Michael, and he looks furious. I've never seen him like this. His dark eyes are burning with anger. He's turned from an afraid young boy, to a powerful man.
"Excuse me?" Michael exclaims. Joseph just stands there, still with no expression. As always.
"Michael, it's fine. I-" I say, in a small voice. I'm now realising how upset that comment made me.
"No! It's not fine! What makes you think you can talk to Belle like that? To anyone like that?" Michael shouts, interrupting me.
"Michael, remember you're place." Joseph says, confidently.
"I am sick and tired of hearing that. Never speak like that to her again. I mean it! We are leaving." Michael shouts, grabbing my hand and walking out the kitchen. He shoves past Joseph. I know he's never shown such confidence to his father before, although he was always being cheeky as a child. But nothing like this.
"Don't shove me, Michael." Joseph says, sternly.
"Oh, shut up father." Michael says, swinging the front door open and leaving.
"What's going on? All this shouting is giving me a headache." Katherine says, walking down the stairs, squinting.
"Joseph happened!" Michael exclaims, waving his hand in the air, still holding mine with the other.
"You're all wet! Don't go outside babies, you'll catch a cold. Come, have a shower." Katherine says, wrapping herself in a robe.
"No! I will not spend another minute in this house with...him!" Michael says pointing at Joseph. "I'm sorry, mother. I am. You have been so amazing, but I can't be round him anymore." Katherine nods, knowing what Joseph's like.
"You're too big for you're boots, Michael." Joseph says, in monotony, "You don't speak to you're parents this way."
"It's just you. Not mom, she's perfect. But you, I want nothing to do with. You can't expect me to act like a perfect, respectful son to a father that does nothing but be rude to me. I'm tired of it. Everyone in the family has manners, but you." He exclaims, frowning. I am still holding his clenching hand, feeling a bit awkward but I just want Michael to be okay. I know Joseph's comment was just a trigger, that lead to all Michael's feelings pouring out. He had held them in so long.
"Michael, baby. Go. Don't do this now. We will talk tomorrow. I'm so sorry, Belle. We will have another dinner sometime soon, if you'll come." Katherine says, opening the front door for us.
"Of course I will. Thank you for having me, sorry if I caused any of this. Dinner was lovely. I'll see you soon." I say smiling at Katherine, as she strokes my shoulders.
We walk out the front door. Michael breathing heavily, as we get into the car. He slams the door shut after him. He doesn't start the car for a minute, he just sits there.
"Michael?" I whisper.
"I'm so so sorry." He says, looking at me. I just noticed his glossy eyes, tears brimming, about to fall.
I instantly hug him, tight. My baby was sad, and that breaks my heart. He puts his arms around my back, and his head into my neck. He begins to cry and cry. My heart feels like it just broke into two. Nothing hurts more than seeing the one you love so broken and down. Just hearing him crying, makes me begin to cry too.