funky chicken

Michael's POV

"Dunk!" Janet shouts, with a huge smile plastered on her face. She instantly hugs me as I walk though the front door.
"What's up, Jan." I respond, shutting the door behind me. The slam echoes around the massive house. I haven't been home for what feels like forever, although it was just a few months. The familiar scent of food roams towards me, someone's cooking.
"Is everyone here?" I ask, looking around, but I can't see anyone but Janet.
"Yep, in the kitchen." Janet says happily, linking my arm with hers as we walk towards the kitchen. The clicks of our shoes on the tiled ground resound through the halls.
We turn the corner to see the kitchen, absolutely filled with people. The whole family in one room, is very...cozy.
"Mike!" All my brothers shout, simultaneously.
"Hey!" I say, smiling with a slight laugh. "What's cooking?" I lean on the archway of the door.
"I'm attempting roast chicken", Tito says, turning to me as his arms continue stirring a simmering pot on the hob.
"Good luck" I laugh, Tito has never been a good cook.
"So where's you're lady?" Jermaine mocks, he sounds like a kid making fun of me fancying someone. I roll my eyes playfully.
"I'm picking her up in a minute" I answer.
"Can we come?" Jermaine quickly fires back, with excitement.
"No" I say bluntly, but smiling.
"What? Why not, Mike?" He whines.
"Because you're annoying, that's why" I laugh, but I mean what I say. "Wait, where's mom and Joseph?"
"They went shopping or something." Randy shrugs. I nod.
Smoke suddenly fills the kitchen air, making us all cough. I turn to see Tito frantically whipping the oven with a towel, his face full of fear.
"Tito! That's not helping!" I shout, running down to the oven. I turn it off at the switch and take the pan off the job, dropping it in the sink with running water.
There's a moment of silence. Everyone processes what just happened.
"My chicken..." Tito said sadly.
"Tito, are you really surprised?" I say, raising my hands. Everyone starts to laugh and gradually we are all in fits of laughter. My family can be really irritating, but sometimes I forget how much I love them.
"Right, I'm getting Belle. Try not to set the house on fire." I laugh, grabbing my keys of the counter. I decided to drive myself because I figured Belle would prefer it, for some reason.
I walk out the front door and drive out the gates to go to pick up Belle. She was waiting for me somewhere around 10 minutes away, so I put on some music and began the journey.
Eventually I pull up to the side of the road, to see Belle stood alone. She looks sweet.
"Hi baby!" She exclaims and quickly hops in the passenger seat beside me.
"Hey, Bel. You look so beautiful." I say, leaning over to kiss her peachy lips.
"Thanks, so do you." She responds. The car fills with the familiar scent of her floral perfume, making me smile.
We pull up to home and park.
"Here we are." I exhale.
"It's beautiful." She says, admiring the view and the house.
"I guess, it's not Neverland though." I shrug, putting my arm round her as we walk to the front door.
I swing it open to see all my brothers and sisters sat on the stairs opposite us. Just staring at us. They quickly jump up when they see us, and run down to the door.
"Woah, what's happening?" I say, shaking my head. Great first impression of my family to Bel, looking creepy as hell.
"Belle! You're even prettier in person!" Janet shouts, giving her a huge hug.
"Aw thank you! You must be...Janet?" Belle says.
"Yep! And this is LaToya, Rebbie, Jermaine, Tito, Marlon, Jackie and Randy." Janet says, pointing them out individually as they all smile at Belle.
"Hi everyone." She says, happily. I thought she would be more nervous, so this is good
"Hey! Welcome." Jermaine shouts.
We all talk for a bit, and end up all sitting in the front room. All the 5 brown, leather couches are full of us. We laugh and chat and generally catch up. Belle seems to be used to them already, which impresses me as they're all characters.
Joseph and mom later arrive home, and walk into the front room.
"What have we here? A party?" Katherine jokes.
"Hey mom." I get up and hug her right, though her hands are full of shopping.
"Hi sweetie." She says stroking my hair. "Belle?" She walks over to Belle.
"Hi Katherine, it's so great to finally meet you!" Belle says politely.
"You too, my dear. You're so pretty." My mom says, stroking Belle's face with the back of her hand.
Joseph walks in and doesn't smile at any of us. As usual.
"Hey Joseph." I say. He just responds with a nod. He looks around to see everyone, then looks at Belle. I can see Belle's sudden nerves. This man has the power to scare anyone, I mean anyone.
"Hi Joseph, nice to meet you, I'm Belle." She introduces herself, standing up. She gulps.
"Hello, Belle." Joe says as he turns to walk out into the kitchen to put down the bags.
Belle's face drops.
"Don't take it personally, honey. He gets like this sometimes." Katherine says. Belle sheds a little smile, looking adorable. I walk over to her and hug her.
"You're doing so well. I'm so sorry about Joseph, he never smiles at anyone. Not even his own son." I whisper in her ear. She puts her arms round my back and rests her little head on my chest.
"Oooo", Jermaine wolf whistles.
"Grow up Jermaine." I groan.
"No fighting, we have a guest." Janet snaps. She's always demanding, but I love that about her. She doesn't let people treat her bad, she knows how to protect herself. Unlike me, I trust too easily. Love too easily.
"Dinner in 20." Mom says, walking out the room. Her shoes clapping on the hard, tiled ground.
"Do you wanna go outside, Belle?" Janet says, smiling.
"Sure!" Belle answers quickly.
"Can I come?" I ask.
"No, Michael", Janet says as they walk out the room.
Did she just sass me?

Belle's POV

Janet and I walk out into the front of the property. It was so open and lone; lined beautifully with flowering trees.
"What do you think?" Janet asks.
"It's so beautiful." I respond.
"Not of the house, you goose. Of today. Of everyone. It must be intimidating meeting so many people at once, hoping they like and accept you. It's brave." She says, stepping down some stone steps.
"Yeah, I mean it's a bit scary I guess. But everyone's been great really, apart from..."
"Joseph." She interrupts. I nod and look around awkwardly.
"Trust me, he's just downright cold. I love him, we all do. But he never learned courtesy and manners. He just doesn't show emotions and it's really nothing personal."
"It's like you read my mind." I chuckle. "But thank you, really. You've made me feel a lot more calm. You're sweet."
"Aw hun! You are so welcome. We should totally be friends!" She says, shaking my arm.
I agree, and we walk in a huge circle around the green land out front, chatting the whole way. Janet and I have really clicked, and I'm so happy about it. I feel I have made a new friend so quickly, and I know Michael and Janet are close. I see why, they are like the same person but different gender.
We eventually make our way back to the front door, and go in. The waft of chicken and roast dinner hits our noses at the same time, as we look at each other smiling.
"You hungry?" Janet giggles.
"Starving." I laugh, as we run to the kitchen.