“Boys! Back away from each other now!” The guidance counselor came up behind us. I quickly listened and Lennon grabbed onto my suit jacket. “Bradley come with me,” She waited there until he listened.

I could hear my heart beating throughout my entire body. He groaned and followed her. We watched them turn the corner before I spun around to face Lennon.

“Are you okay? He didn’t hurt you did he?” I asked. She fought back tears.

“Yeah, thanks to you.” Her thumb brushed over my cheek. I hid how much it hurt. “Are you?”

“I’m okay.” I told her, nodding. She wrapped her arms around me and my body instantly relaxed. I sighed and held her tight.

“H-he’s relentless.” She muttered, pushing me back. “He’s never going to stop.” I could see the fear in her eyes.

“He’s going to go to jail.” I told her confidently.

“But there’s no evidence.” She said confused. My hand lingered on my phone, in my pocket.

“Yes there is.” I took out my phone and showed her what I had recorded. She still had a confused to look on her face. She didn’t realize what I did. I moved the bar into the center of the recording and pressed play.  

I didn’t force her, she enjoyed it.

“This is our evidence. This should be all we need.” I told her, caressing her cheek.

“Oh my god Rowan!” Her hands flung around my neck and I stumbled back, catching her. She burst into tears. “It’s over… Bradley will be out of my life…” They were happy tears. The relief and joy in her voice made my heart swell. I wrapped my arms around her tighter and put my head down on her shoulder.

“Yes love, he can’t hurt you anymore.” I cooed, running a hand through her hair. Her legs buckled but I kept her standing. “It’s going to be okay.”

“I can’t believe you did this for me. You put yourself in harms way for me, again.” She muttered, getting her bearings. Her hand touched my cheek, where Bradley had punched me. I could feel a bruise starting to form. “Why?” I sighed, the urge was back. It was on the tip of my tongue. The reason why I’d done everything.

“You know I’d do anything for you.” I gulped. I was worried that she wasn’t ready to hear it, that it would make her run. She didn’t looked convinced. I admit, it wasn’t a reason, it was simply a statement to cover up the true reason why I’d do anything for her.

“I know…” She muttered under her breathe. She wiped away her tears. “I don’t know, I just- I can’t figure out why. I’m not anything special. I’m… damaged. I push everyone away, I was- raped… Maybe it’s because of what I’ve been through, but I just can’t make sense of any of this…” She trailed off. I hated that she thought so little of herself, when she meant so much to me. She couldn’t see how strong she was.

“Lennon, I…” Just say it, you love her. I shook my head and wiped my sweaty palms on my pants. My heart was racing. I could feel it. It was the right time, she needed to hear it. “I do this because I-”

“Rowan, you’re scaring me.” Lennon whispered, searching my eyes for a sense of what I was going to say. I took a deep breath.

“Lennon, I love you.” I felt like I was putting my relationship with her on the line. She stared at me blankly. I didn’t expect her to say it back. “You don’t have to say anything.”

“No, no… I’m just shocked. I didn’t expect that…” She took my hands and looked at me with a longing in her eyes. “I love you too Rowan.”