Chapter 14.1: Unmasked

Start from the beginning

"Careful now. There are steps here. I will bring you someplace warm and with light soon enough. Bear with this for now." 

The creatures scattered off once more when Kaval's voice echoed through the empty space. Dripping sounds came from all sides of the room they walked into. It was much larger and more open than the place before which did not sit well with Ari. None of this did, but he had to be strong. Show no fear. Cyrus admired strength and power, after all. He had to prove himself that he was-- could be all those things and more.

Rocks and pebbles toppled from the balconies hanging above them. There were dozens of them carved from the stone walls with markings etched in between each banister. More came tumbling down with the sound of footsteps, causing Ari to stop along with Kaval.  

"What was that?"

"The guest I was talking about, I suppose," Kaval murmured. 

Ari took a cautious step away from Kaval and analyzed his surroundings. It was quiet, for the moment and filled with snickers in the next. Ari closed his eyes and balled his hands into fists. When the noise stopped, a voice filled the emptiness. 

"What are you doing... sneaking around like a rat?" A deep voice said. Ari turned to look at where the voice came from and found a person hanging upside down from one of the lower railings above. "And who is this little treat for? Me?"

"No," Kaval said.

"No?" The man smiled and dropped from the railings and onto the ground effortlessly. With a snap of his fingers, torches lit up the empty space. Ari could feel the warmth of the large fire centered in the middle, but he did not dare go near it. When he looked into the man's eyes, Ari could see his dislike of him clearly. His nose scrunched up and dismissed him with a wave of his hand. 

"Take him back," the man bellowed.

"Maoz."

"I do not want him here. He has a smell to him. I do not like it."

The man hovered over Ari like a scolding father causing Ari to become intimidated. Ari did not know how he knew, but Ari could sense that he was thousands and thousands of years old. 

"It is not his scent but one of the blood demons he was with." 

Maoz shuddered with revulsion. "Disgusting." He gave Ari a condescending look before walking away. 

"He has black hair like you and gray eyes like you," Kaval added.

"And that is where the commonalities end. Mine is longer and my eyes are darker. And am I not the more attractive one?"

Kaval scoffed and shook his head.

"Well, then again, you always liked the small ones." 

"You are small yourself."

"So you do find me attractive then?"

"Maoz."

Maoz laughed and walked closer to Kaval.

"I am joking. It has been a long time since someone came by. Well, someone that I care for. There is no one here but I, save for that old hag up above. Sai did not bother to stay. He said he was sick of me." There was hurt in Maoz's eyes that he quickly covered with a small fraction of a smile. "But I just believe he gave up on our cause. I do not blame him, but I could not agree with him either. When he came back..." 

Ari could not help but stay quiet through their exchange. Although Maoz was a few inches taller than him, he was very intimidating. His glare sent a chill through him, causing Ari to keep his distance. It was quite obvious he missed Kaval a great deal, but he was just as equally displeased with Ari being there as well. What could Ari possibly say or do to change his mind of him? Ari pressed a finger to his lips in thought before looking back at the two of them.